Bloody egg from a White Leghorn hen! **PIC**

ChickLover98

The Chicken Princess
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Pennsylvania
Today Petunia layed a odd looking egg that had blood on the surface. I was worried about her and checked her over, but everything else is normal. Should I worry? Please input your opinion and any advice is appriciated!
55349_graduation_and_chickens_and_lila_011.jpg

55349_graduation_and_chickens_and_lila_012.jpg

Last edited:
Is she a small hen? I have a great layer that is a runt and sometimes there is a little blood on an egg. I am sure the whole process of laying an egg can do some damage, esp. in a small hen or young hen. I would keep an eye on her, check her vent every day, that is what I do, you read about alot of vent prolaspes here, so it can happen. make sure you know what to do if this happens, clean the tissue gently, she needs those tissues, put prep.H, honey or sugar on the moisten tissue, alllow this to help reduce the swelling for a few minutes, then with a lubricated gloved finger gently push the tissue back in, it may pop out again, try it again. keep her in a darked area to prevent future laying until she heals up and keep her separated from the others, they will pick at the tissue and will kill her. add some oyster shells in her diet too, help to make a better shell.

I get that once in a while from my RIR's. At 1st I was freaked out, but it seems it just happens once in a while. No one has ever gotten sick or passed after a bloody egg. It does seem to be the LARGE eggs that get that way.
I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

Thanks guys. This is the first time it happened and she has been laying for a long time time now. I do feed her oyster shells in her regular food. I will check on her every day to make sure everything stays ok. She is a relitively small hen and her eggs are quite round.

Back
Top Bottom