Bloody Eggs With Mucus

Smmarques1

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2018
Hi Everyone.
I have a 7 month old hen and she is fairly new to laying eggs. I would say 1/2 her eggs have a small amount of blood on them and then the other days the entire egg is covered in blood. This AM she laid and egg with blood on it and it also had a large clump of what I would say was a mucus substance.
I have read that streaks of blood is fairly normal so I wasn't too concerned until I saw blood and mucus.
Any thoughts??
Thanks Everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 25
Blood occurs when blood vessels burst during laying, common for new layers, that is a lot of blood though so I'm surprised. The mucus stuff may just be part of the egg white which ended up on the outside of the egg inside of the inside. It's possible she's under a bit of stress. Stress often causes egg problems

Blood occurs when blood vessels burst during laying, common for new layers, that is a lot of blood though so I'm surprised. The mucus stuff may just be part of the egg white which ended up on the outside of the egg inside of the inside. It's possible she's under a bit of stress. Stress often causes egg problems

I am new to owning chickens so everything scares me! We have been battling respiratory infections amongst all 7 of my girls. As soon as I get them we’ll, we start all over again!! The hen with the egg issue is the only one that hasn’t been sick. Stress could be due to us separating the sick birds?? We are having a heck of a time treating so much sickness!! Thanks for the info about the egg issue. We have seen more blood than that with some of her eggs. And then the next day no blood at all

I am new to owning chickens so everything scares me! We have been battling respiratory infections amongst all 7 of my girls. As soon as I get them we’ll, we start all over again!! The hen with the egg issue is the only one that hasn’t been sick. Stress could be due to us separating the sick birds?? We are having a heck of a time treating so much sickness!! Thanks for the info about the egg issue. We have seen more blood than that with some of her eggs. And then the next day no blood at all

Separating sick birds, upsets the pecking order, so this could be partially the cause of her bloody eggs.

What with and how are you treating your sick birds?
What are the symptoms?

You mention 7 birds - is this all of them? Unless you have one that is lethargic and needs help with eating/drinking, then I would leave them all together. If you are dealing with a respiratory illness, all your birds have been exposed and would be considered carriers.

There are a several respiratory diseases - Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, ILT and Coryza are the most common. All are contagious and make the flock carriers.
Respiratory diseases do impact egg laying, so even if your girl has not shown symptoms - it may still be affecting her.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Separating sick birds, upsets the pecking order, so this could be partially the cause of her bloody eggs.

What with and how are you treating your sick birds?
What are the symptoms?

You mention 7 birds - is this all of them? Unless you have one that is lethargic and needs help with eating/drinking, then I would leave them all together. If you are dealing with a respiratory illness, all your birds have been exposed and would be considered carriers.

There are a several respiratory diseases - Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, ILT and Coryza are the most common. All are contagious and make the flock carriers.
Respiratory diseases do impact egg laying, so even if your girl has not shown symptoms - it may still be affecting her.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
We have 7 birds total. We have been dealing with very stressful breathing, bubbly eyes ect. I only medicate them with Tylan when I know they are in trouble. 3-5 days depending. I’ve been using nutri-drench in their water to give them a little extra goodness the past week as well. I soerate them Bc the second I do not we spread the funk and start all over. Honestly it seems to work best and when they go back to the coop after a day or so everyone gets along just fine. I only keep them out of the coop during the running nose, coughing sneezing phase and then get them back in the coop ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom