Bloody eggs......

INchickens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
Indiana
I've been selling my eggs, and I've had a couple "comment" that their eggs were bloody. One customer said it looked fine when they cracked it open to fry, but when they dipped the toast into it, the yolk was bloody. The other said that there were blood specs in the egg. From the amount of eggs we've had, this is a small percentage, but none the less, I probably won't get repeat customers if they aren't happy with them.

We gather eggs daily, and refrigerate immediately. There is NO chance the eggs were missed when gathered....if I ever find one that I'm in doubt about...I pitch it.

Why are the eggs bloody?

I've gotten a few of these, but they are rare and my hens have been laying for the better part of a year. If I understand correctly, bloody spots or meat spots are from the sluff off of cells in the ovaduct of the chicken, and sometimes just happen. When you buy eggs from big suppliers, they use some machine to sort these eggs out of the main line--not because there is anything wrong with them, cook them as normal, no problem--but because people sometimes get funny about them.

Back
Top Bottom