BLOODY, MISSHAPED EGGS

Molnut

Songster
Oct 1, 2015
Port Angeles, WA
I have a Spitzhauben hen who has been laying somewhat misshaped eggs with the top being narrower (see picture). Additionally, there is often trace of blood on the egg.
She has been laying regularly for several months and is only now starting to show these signs.

General comments :
We have been introducing younger hens to the established flock.
There are more "newbies" than established ones.
They like to "hang" in the coop while the established ones are laying. The younger hens will not lay for another month.

Thanks

She's laid an egg too big to pass, the blood is from her cloaca stretching and the waves and indentations are from her pausing in the middle so it gets squeezed. So I say ouch for your poor hen. I've had a few lay them like that so it isn't unusual.

Thank you for the responses. So oldhenslikedods I take it all I can do is be thankful to her for going the extra mile (or girth). I don't know if there is anything else I can do, poor girl. Thankfully, for her, yesterday's egg was normal.

Thank you for the responses. So oldhenslikedods I take it all I can do is be thankful to her for going the extra mile (or girth). I don't know if there is anything else I can do, poor girl.  Thankfully, for her, yesterday's egg was normal.
Unfortunately there's nothing you can do, it just happens sometimes. Thankfully it only happens occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom