Bloody/mucousy poops more than one bird.

Jul 21, 2018
Hello there!

I am still a chicken newbie and making mistakes. I have 5 and they are about 13 weeks old.

It started with one bird having watery poops about 4 days ago after I had switched their food to all flock. I thought it was from the food change but I was wrong and now more than one is having poops with blood today.

I have done no treatment to the chickens yet as I don't know what the best course of action would be. I will be pressure washing the area they are in (it's concrete which is clearly not ideal and I will be covering with sand as soon as I am able) with a bleach solution (they will be moved to another area while I do this and it dries) and doing a full clean out of the coop in which I have been using rice hulls.

I will be self treating as best as I am able and I understand that the advice given is just advice and not a guarantee.

I don't know which one did this but I suspect it is my rooster guy who was the first to get the watery poop.
IMG_2739.JPG

Hello there!

I am still a chicken newbie and making mistakes. I have 5 and they are about 13 weeks old.

It started with one bird having watery poops about 4 days ago after I had switched their food to all flock. I thought it was from the food change but I was wrong and now more than one is having poops with blood today.

I have done no treatment to the chickens yet as I don't know what the best course of action would be. I will be pressure washing the area they are in (it's concrete which is clearly not ideal and I will be covering with sand as soon as I am able) with a bleach solution (they will be moved to another area while I do this and it dries) and doing a full clean out of the coop in which I have been using rice hulls.

I will be self treating as best as I am able and I understand that the advice given is just advice and not a guarantee.

I don't know which one did this but I suspect it is my rooster guy who was the first to get the watery poop.View attachment 1558105
I would start treatment for coccidiosis asap. Corid would be my go to treatment it works well and fast. Specifically the powder that's water soluble.

I would start treatment for coccidiosis asap. Corid would be my go to treatment it works well and fast. Specifically the powder that's water soluble.

Thank you, I had thought of that, from what I've read but needed another voice in my head in case it looked like something else.

Will bleach be acceptable to kill what's on the ground?

I wouldn't wet and bleach things just yet...

I would go out and get Corid... at the feed store and start treatment right away... administering a drench dose to any who seem tired or not drinking... huddled, feathers fluffed, head pulled in, sleeping while standing... are other symptoms to look out for. Treatment dose in the drinking water, making sure there are no other drinking sources available and do NOT supplement vitamins during this time. Coccidiosis can be deadly fast... hurry as it is the most likely current suspect and treatment WON'T hurt if that isn't it.

How has your weather been?

The mucus throws me... @casportpony is the resident poo expert. :sick

Any chance they got into berries or the like?

Coccidia are in every single chicken poo...

barn lime can help... as well as just keeping things dry... if you have bare dirt.. look into some deep litter or semi deep litter to bring in good bacteria and microbes that naturally keep things balanced instead of being being a breeding ground for yuck.

I wouldn't wet and bleach things just yet...

I would go out and get Corid... at the feed store and start treatment right away... administering a drench dose to any who seem tired or not drinking... huddled, feathers fluffed, head pulled in, sleeping while standing... are other symptoms to look out for. Treatment dose in the drinking water, making sure there are no other drinking sources available and do NOT supplement vitamins during this time. Coccidiosis can be deadly fast... hurry as it is the most likely current suspect and treatment WON'T hurt if that isn't it.

How has your weather been?

The mucus throws me... @casportpony is the resident poo expert. :sick

Any chance they got into berries or the like?

I pick up my little one from preschool at 3 and will be heading to the feed store after.

I am in the middle of California. It rained sporadically about a week ago but has been dry since.

No berries, I don't have any in my yard and there isn't any vegetation where I keep them. Planters of chicken safe stuff will be added in the future.

Maybe it isn't mucous and is the urates? In my personal experience with my own digestive issues when the lining of the intestine is damaged more mucus is secreted.

Thank you, I had thought of that, from what I've read but needed another voice in my head in case it looked like something else.

I had my first and only coccidiosis outbreak last summer. It was a wet and humid one. After treatment and my birds recovered I cleaned their coop early one morning with ammonia and gave it the whole day to dry out in the sun and air. I also use vinegar and water to clean feeders and water bowls. I have soaked them in ammonia before to and rinsed them well. It's been over a year and haven't had an issue since. Corid is my go to I keep it in the medicine cabinet always.

Back
Top Bottom