Bloody/Runny poop in 3 week old chicks

WhiteWyan

Songster
May 17, 2017
Ulster Park
I have 16 chicks that I moved outside at age 2 weeks. They are 3 weeks old now.

They were all vaccinated for coccidiosis. I did not use medicated feed. However, I did keep them on puppy pee pads for 1 week in the beginning and changed them frequently, sometimes 3 times a day.

Now, today is Sunday. This past Friday I fed them raspberries. Saturday morning I noticed red in their poop. Looked a lot like drops of blood, but thought it was probably the raspberries. Now, Sunday morning, they still have blood in their poop!

Runny, watery poop with flecks of bright red blood. Only some of them produce this, I'm not sure exactly which ones.
All chicks appear to have energy, are running around like normal, eating drinking and jumping about and seemingly there is nothing wrong with them except for this poop!

Do you think it's possible they have coccidiosis because I cleaned their brooder too frequently? They may not have had a chance to re-ingest the vaccine, I suppose. I'm ready to go and buy the Corid. Would they be acting normal if they had coccidiosis?

Thank you for reading.

I can only advise on what I would do if I was in that situation. I dealt with cocci about a month ago and it killed one of my pullets in 24 hours, so I wouldn't be waiting around and would put the chicks on the Corid in the water. It wont hurt if its not cocci, but better safe than to start losing chicks.

I can only advise on what I would do if I was in that situation. I dealt with cocci about a month ago and it killed one of my pullets in 24 hours, so I wouldn't be waiting around and would put the chicks on the Corid in the water. It wont hurt if its not cocci, but better safe than to start losing chicks.
Wow! I'm sorry to hear about your pullet. I'll start the Corid today, thank you for the input. Better safe than sorry!!

They have had Corid in their water since Sunday afternoon. I have seen ZERO bloody stools today, Monday. What a relief!!!
So it's a 5 day course and then, what... you repeat two weeks later for 5 more days? I'm doing 3/4 tsp corid powder per gallon water.

They have had Corid in their water since Sunday afternoon. I have seen ZERO bloody stools today, Monday. What a relief!!!
So it's a 5 day course and then, what... you repeat two weeks later for 5 more days? I'm doing 3/4 tsp corid powder per gallon water.
The correct dose is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water if you are using powder. After the 5 days are up, I used probiotics in their water then repeated the treatment again in 2 weeks. Glad to hear everything is going well. Cocci can kill before you know it!

They are all good still, thank to the Corid. I suppose I could up the dosage to 1 and 1/2 tsp per gallon... Does anyone know what they mean by "moderate outbreak" and "severe outbreak" when the dosage is explained on the Corid website? What's the difference? I went with moderate dose but I guess more wouldn't exactly hurt.
I do have one single chicken who seems to still have observable diarrhea. Basically looks like water with a little poop in it(no blood). Everyone else's poop is formed and healthy, no blood.

Back
Top Bottom