Bloody shell and now chicken died

Karen70

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2018
Plymouth massachusetts
Bloody shell yesterday and couldn’t figure out who...they all looked happy and checked them tonight and one more bloody egg and she was barely breathing in nesting box. Removed her from coop and brought her in garage and she died. I’m worried about the other 7. I’ve had 4 different sets of chickens and there’s always something new. Any ideas

Sorry to hear about your hen.

Do you still have the body? You may be able to get an idea by doing a home necropsy or if possible sending the body to your state lab for more information.

It can be very hard to know what happened, if I had to take a guess and you see no evidence of a prolapsed or bloody vent on the body, then I would guess that she ruptured something, but again, you won't know unless further investigation is done.

No I don’t still have the body but I’m thinking the same thing. It was quick so I do think she may have ruptured something. Just wanted to see if anyone had a different thought. Thank you. It always makes you feel better being able to ask someone else’s thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom