Bloody Spots/ Strange Breathing

Epiphany

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2018
Washington
Hi all,

One of my pullets had been isolated due to what I thought was infectious bronchitis, but now I'm no sure what's going on.
1.) She has A LOT of lice under her chin, like I can see them crawling. She's being treated for those right now.
2.) She has bloody spots, like small spots of blood under her stomach and around her vent. I have no idea if those could be caused by lice or not? If not, any ideas what they could be??
3.) Whenever she breathes in, there is a weird sort of gurgle/ "snick" sound from somewhere inside her? She is nowhere close to laying, so I don't think it's an egg, and she does not have impacted/sour crop.
I'm so worried about her and don't want her to die :( We don't have any vets that will see her either.
Any thoughts?
-Epiphany

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your girl isn't well. :(

What are you treating the lice with? Yes those red spots are probably where they've been feeding on her blood. She may even be anemic.

With IB the gurgling is probably coming from her lungs. What are you doing to treat for that?

Lets start at the beginning... How old is your girl? Where did you get her and how long ago? Why are you treating her? What were the original symptoms and what have you done so far? How long has this been going on? What do you feed including treats and supplements? How many other birds in your flock? How do her droppings look? Is she eating and drinking? Is she alert? How has your weather been?Answering these questions will help us to come up with some clues to what might be going on and hopefully come up with some good answers for you. :fl

Hi there,
thanks for your response!
The pullet in question, Cadenza, is a 7ish (not completely sure) week old Ayam Cemani. I got her from a guy who breeds them for fun, and she seemed very healthy at the time. I've had her for about 4 weeks.
I originally went out to check on my birds (a flock of 6) because it had been raining nonstop and their coop had no roof (they've been moved out of there by now), and that's when I noticed her symptoms (none of my other chickens have anything but lice).
She started out with just sneezing and a breathing sound, and I moved her into a box in my house. This is the 4th day she's been inside, and the sneezing has gone way down, as has the respiratory sound (although it is still there). She is not receiving any medications for that other than Apple Cider vinegar in her water, which she loves. She also has a really big load of lice eggs/lice on her chin, that I only just noticed today. To treat for that I've started dusting her with DE and putting 3 drops of Ivermectin on her skin.
She and her flock-mates eat layer/starter feed pellets (depending on who I'm feeding- she and her two siblings get both). Her droppings look normal, and she has no discharge from wither her nostrils or eyes. She eats and drinks normally (thank god). I'm mostly worried about three things:
1.) Will the Ivermax work for her
2.) Why does she have that breathing sound
3.) Are the bloody spots normal

Sorry for the long post! Super appreciative in advance for any insight on the subject. <3
Epiphany

The breathing is her lungs and I would get her antibiotics as soon as possible for infection,The lice would not help her health at all but she must be treated with Antibiotics

Hi jucat60,

What antibiotics would you recommend? I've looked online and couldn't find solid information. :) Would love to get on it ASAP.

The poultry dust/powder is usually most effective for treating lice. As for the respiratory issue, keep her separated and warm, maybe in the house or garage in a dog kennel. Make sure she is eating and drinking. You can try mixed veggies or scrambled eggs if she's not eating. She is really too young to be out in a coop unprotected from the elements, especially with this bad weather. You might want to think about treating with antibiotics if the issue isn't improving.

Thanks, ForrestGump!
Do you have a brand name for those antibiotics?
I'd agree with you about the age issue, but the man I purchased her from had her living outside from day 1 and she's definitely fully feathered by now, seems very happy outside. <3 It's been in the 50's and 60's for the past 3 weeks here.
I would be happy to order just about any antibiotics that will work, so just let me know what brand is best and I'll get on it! :)
Many thanks!

Hi jucat60,

What antibiotics would you recommend? I've looked online and couldn't find solid information. :) Would love to get on it ASAP.
Hi I live in Australia I have used tetracycline but I got that from a vet. I think in the states tylan is used if you look that up for respiratory illnesses all the best

Update- I haven't administered antibiotics, but I see wayyyy fewer lice and her breathing sounds much easier. I'm hoping that maybe what with the pain from bloody spots and having so many lice on her throat, she was having trouble breathing? She seems much better and still has zero discharge or swelling. :)

Get some permethrin spray or the garden dust, but the liquid concentrate for spraying is a better buy, plus will treat your facilities once bedding is removed. Be sure you are treating lice and not mites? Lice need a second or 3 rd treatment 10 days apart, while mites would require treatment at 7 day intervals, to get the bugs, and later the newly hatched larvae before they reproduce. Lice leave white clumps of eggs at the base of feathers. DE will not treat an active case of lice or mites, and can be dangerous to breathe. Here is a good article with pics of lice and mites and treatments:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Your chicken may have a respiratory virus such as infectious bronchitis which an antibiotic will not treat. IB lasts about a month, and will make him a carrier for up to a year after he recovers, and he can infect your flock. If he has MG, that can be treated with Tylan 50, but he would be a carrier for life.

Honestly, I would return him to your seller, no questions asked. Here is a good article with the most common respiratory and other diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom