bloody stool, piperazine, and 1 panting chicken

birdblue

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Hi, I am a new chicken owner. We have 5 and they are ~15 months old. This morning I discovered bloody poop in several spots in the coop and outside as well (we allow them to forage for about an hour a day, so they do eat earthworms, other bugs, etc). I took a poop sample to the vet but when I was told the analysis alone would cost $130 (!), I called the feed store instead. They recommended 3 days of Piperazine for the whole flock, which I started today. This is the first time I've wormed my hens. I should add that for several months, I have been noticing that my chickens' breastbones feel prominent and bony. They eat a lot but seem kind of skinny to me (other than my one large Ameraucana), but then again I don't have experience with other flocks. That said, they are all perky, sleek and looking healthy otherwise.

Meanwhile, I started poking around and starting reading about roundworms versus gapeworm, etc. The past few months our Ameraucana has been panting. She breathes with an open mouth a lot during the day. But then again it's summer so I figured she was just cooling off. She's my fattest hen, lays the biggest eggs, no discharge, no rattling--just the open-mouthed breathing.

Does anyone have any advice on whether or not I should pay the $130 to figure out exactly what kind of worms they might have? I really don't have that kind of money to throw down, but I've read that Piperazine isn't the treatment for gapeworm. But again, I'm not convinced they have gapeworm. Is it common? Are there typically other symptoms? Would the whole flock have it by now since the Ameraucana has been panting for months?

I would have waited a week to see if the Piperazine clears things up, but we're about to leave town and I don't want to dump a sick flock on an unsuspecting housesitter.

Thanks in advance!

Capillaria worms can cause blood in stools, but if you found several spots, I believe that I would give 5 days treatment with Corid or amprollium for coccidiosis. Cocci may be brought in with new birds, if the soil is new to the chickens, and on shoes. Piperazine is not a complete wormer for chickens. After treatment for cocci, then treat each chicken with fenbendazole (SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the Equine Paste) 1/2-1 ml given orally for 3 days in a row for capillary worms, and 5 days for gapeworm, but I don't suspect that you have gapeworm. Give probiotics and vitamins in their water as soon as Corid is finished, and continue for several days after the last worming.

Last edited:
Where do I buy Corid? I lost 2 chicks from this flock within the first 6 weeks despite medicated feed (over a year ago and they were never in the coop). I suspected coccidiosis then but a) couldn't find it at ANY local feed store, b) did end up having stools tested by a vet only to discover they showed zero signs of cocci or parasites.

The remaining 5 are now 15 months old. This morning I found 2 spots in the coop. My son watched our Buff Orpington poop bloody diarrhea in yard and that was the 3rd spot. I don't know for sure if the others have it. Completely scrubbed and sanitized every inch of the coop this morning and haven't seen any bloody poop since.

None of the birds is new, the soil is not new, and we have not been around any other poultry.

Do you still suspect coccidiosis? Any advice on where to buy Corid? And since I've already started the Piperazine, how would I proceed?

Thanks!

If it were me, I would still treat for coccidiosis. Today another BYC member had her 1 year old chickens tested for coccidiosis after she noticed blood in stools, and hers tested positive for it. They had it when they were chicks also. Corid (amprollium or Ampromed) is found at most farm stores in the cattle medicine section. Corid dosage is 2 tsp liquid (or 1.5 tsp of powder) per gallon of water for 5 days, and treat all birds. Since you have started Piperazine, and it is supposed to be for 24 hours in the water, you can start the Corid immediately when the Piperzaine is finished. 10 days from now, you can then start the SageGuard treatment for capillaria worms. Whenever treating with Corid I would recommend giving several day's worth of vitamins and probiotics after completing Corid to promote intestinal health. If Corid is not available, then Sulfadimethoxine (Di-Methox) or Sulmet may be substituted, but DOSAGE IS DIFFERENT, so follow instructions on label, or check back here.

Thank you! I will follow your advice. I was able to buy Corid in liquid form on Amazon. Will arrive tomorrow. To confirm: the feed store owner told me 3 days of Piperazine, but you recommend just the 24 hours then immediately switching to Corid, correct? The chickens weren't drinking much today. I have electrolytes in the water with the piperazine. Is that OK? THANK YOU!

All of the links I have read have said to use Piperazine for 1 day. I usually don't recommend mixing anything in the water with a medication. It may be fine, but I can't be sure. Since you have been treating for most of the day already, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks again!!! Will follow your directions and hope for the best. More bloody poop in coop today, and the chickens are sitting down a lot more than usual. My buff orpington has a droopy, pale comb and keeps going to sleep. But they're all eating and moving when offered food so that's good. Still waiting for Corid to arrive. I put buttermilk, yogurt and some apple cider vinegar to make a mash of their food, as recommended elsewhere on BYC. I might add some of the piperazine water to that mash (same with Corid when it arrives) since I don't see them drinking much. SO grateful for your prompt, thorough reply, Eggcessive!

Are you certain it will get there today? If not then I would try to find it locally or get Sulmet. If more are showing signs, you need to get meds started today. Do you know any friends with chickens or cattle nearby that might have some to borrow? Don't use the vinegar--in my opinion it will irritate the bowel more since they are bleeding inside. I hope that your chickens do okay.

I was able to locate Corid (finally--for some reason it is VERY hard to find in Denver area!) at a Tractor Supply 40 minutes away. Started last night. Woke them all up to give each one a dropper-full of medicated water. Same thing this morning for the Buff, who is definitely the worst off (not eating, fluffy, feels really thin, huddled in nesting box). I added some medicated water to a mash for the rest, which they are eating. Trying to get to tempt my Buff to eat something. Don't know how to force-feed a chicken. The rest of them look good, and no bloody stools overnight or this morning. But lots of greenish watery diarrhea. Here's hoping I got the Corid into them in time. Some of the sources I've been reading say to re-dose with Corid in 10 days. Should I do that or switch to Safeguard as you recommended? Also, I'm concerned all these meds will be hard on them. I bought Nutri-Drench to put in water after. Any other suggestions for keeping their strength up with all these meds? THANKS!

As an update, I did find Corid locally, followed your advice on all meds, and all my chickens are better! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom