Bloody Toenail

Orit

Songster
12 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I noticed my Americauna limping today and then pulling her left foot underneath whenever she was just standing. I checked and found that one toenail was bloody (see photos). What should I do? I know Epsom salt and Blukote are 2 things I often recommended on this site for all sorts of ailments. I have both of these, but nothing else in terms of first aid. Thanks!
IMG_6128.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6128.JPG
    IMG_6128.JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 1
It looks like she has loosened the toenail causing bleeding. Normally, I wouldn’t do anything, but I would clean it with chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) or Betadine. The reason is that my bloodhound recently had the same injury that we didn’t notice. He eventually had to have his outer toe removed due to osteomyelitis (bone infection) which had set in causing swollen lymph nodes. The bleeding shows that there is a pathway inside the toe, so best to be over cautious.

It looks like she has loosened the toenail causing bleeding. Normally, I wouldn’t do anything, but I would clean it with chlorhexidene (Hibiclens) or Betadine. The reason is that my bloodhound recently had the same injury that we didn’t notice. He eventually had to have his outer toe removed due to osteomyelitis (bone infection) which had set in causing swollen lymph nodes. The bleeding shows that there is a pathway inside the toe, so best to be over cautious.
Thank you! So if I clean with Betadine (I think I might have some), should I put some sort of bandage on it? Otherwise her feet just go back into the dirt.

It might be good to place her on a clean towel in a dog crate for a couple of days, which could be kept inside the coop with food and water. It can be hard to keep a toe clean on a chicken, but at least try to clean it a couple of times a day. The toenail may not come off, but I am not certain. When my hen kept jumping up on my chainlink fence, she ripped hers off. Toenail injuries can be painful for a few days.

It might be good to place her on a clean towel in a dog crate for a couple of days, which could be kept inside the coop with food and water. It can be hard to keep a toe clean on a chicken, but at least try to clean it a couple of times a day. The toenail may not come off, but I am not certain. When my hen kept jumping up on my chainlink fence, she ripped hers off. Toenail injuries can be painful for a few days.
Well, I cleaned it with Betadine (she was so cooperative, I couldn't believe it!) and then I bandaged her toe up/made her a little boot with that sports tape. I was fully expecting the bandage to fall off today, but I got home from work and it was still on. Given that it was pouring rain today, it was wet and dirty, but it was pretty layered so I'm hoping inside the bandage everything is dry. When the rain stops, I'll take the bandage off and clean again. She does seem to be more comfortable walking. Thanks for all the good advice!

Back
Top Bottom