Blu-Kote Warning

Pics

Anianna

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
N/E of Richmond, VA
I have noticed that a lot of people use or recommend Blu-Kote for chicken care, but I would not recommend it for use on chickens. Like cats, chickens pick and preen at themselves and there is no way to stop them. Also, the warnings for Blu-Kote specifically state not to use it on food producing animals. Please be aware of these things before you choose whether or not to use Blu-Kote on your chickens.

Dr. Naylor Blu-Kote Caution(s)
For external veterinary use only. In case of serious burns, deep or puncture wounds, or if redness, irritation or swelling persists or increases, discontinue use and consult a veterinarian. Keep away from the eyes, mouth, nostrils, and mucous membranes. Do not spray in the eyes. Do not inhale. Do not use on cats. Prevent dogs from licking the treated area.

For animal use only.

Keep from the reach of children.

Use only as directed.
Warning(s)
Not for use on food producing animals.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/dr-naylor-blu-kote.html

Gentian violet is probably not the issue. It is commonly used in dentistry, so probably is not an ingestion concern at least is small doses. I know that acriflavine is harmful if inhaled and could be the culprit of the ingestion warnings. I don't really know for sure, but I did want my fellow BYCers to be aware of the label warnings to make an educated decision rather than simply using it without knowing.

Quote:
Indeed, thank you!!
love.gif

I would not use Blu-Kote for punctures nor burns. However, like all off label products that we use on our chickens including Blu-Kote, common sense regarding proper usages/dosages should take precedence. I use Blu-Kote for minor scrapes, scratches and small cuts as well as for hiding blood so that the injured chicken wont get picked/pecked on for said injuries by the others.
Most likely why you dont use Blu-Kote on punctures and burns is because of the isopropyl alcohol which would cause stinging/burning. But it's main purpose is used as a quick drying agent in the product.

Back
Top Bottom