BLUE-AMERAUCANA eggs not all blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
does she breed EEs too because there is another listing under that user that says Ameraucana/ Araucana Hatching eggs if she dose it could be a simple mix up.
idunno.gif

Quote:
HappyChick - I think you meant to label the top two black chickens as araucanas, not ameraucanas?

yes been on the comp too much today lol and my eyes are crossing lol I made the correction.
smile.png

Last edited:
Reply I got from Julie

"no, no mix up.. Blue eggs can be very very light sky blue, to Robins egg blue to greenish blue....... the shade changes throughout the cycle....... the photos shows the bluest eggs, just like photos of dark eggs show the darkest eggs our hens are capable of laying.. in the Spring all these hens lay robins egg blue.. this is the end of the cycle..colors fade during that time etc....... The same hens that laid the eggs in the photo are the hens that laid your eggs.............. all of your offspring will be capable of laying eggs that look like the photo...........
smile.png
"

She says what a lot of you have said.

Quote:
That is true but I have found that by asking enough of the right questions, you can usually pick up on something that will tell you whether or not the person you're talking to really knows what they're doing.

Quote:
I often hear this term "Robins egg Blue" stated. Personally, from everything I've seen and everyone I've talked to that is heavily involved with the Ameraucanas, that term is over-stated and "sky blue" is a much better term. The term "Robin's egg Blue" I believe often causes disappointment from buyers who get eggs and find they are lighter than what they expected.

Secondly, while a particular hens eggs will change "shade" slightly throughout their cycle (or with other changes such as in diet, extreme cold or heat, even environmental changes that cause stress), they will not change "color". A blue egg is not going to turn green nor vice versa. My blue egg layers stay blue egg layers. My lighter blue egg layers stay light blue egg layers.

Also, I'd like to know what is meant by "this is the end of the cycle..colors fade during that time etc." What cycle is Julie talking about? The yearly laying cycle because she doesn't keep them on artificial light? If that is the case, then how is she getting eggs this time of year?

Again, personally I have found that the "cycle" doesn't have anything to do with egg color but rather the things I mentioned above. That and the frequency of lay. The more often a pullet or hen lays, the lighter the eggs tend to be - BUT it does not vary "towards the end of the cycle". If I have a hen that gives me 4 or 5 eggs a week, they are all colored the same. The same on Monday as they are on Sunday. The same at the beginning of the month as the end of the month. If I have a hen that gives me 1 egg a week (which I do. Ugh!), it is the same color each time - and btw, it is a deeper blue that the one who lays more. This just makes sense as the more pigment that is stored, the more can be transferred to the egg all else being equal.

Lastly, I'm curious as to how Julie can say, "all of your offspring will be capable of laying eggs that look like the photo." What does that mean? They could be blue, green, or white? Here's a question you might ask Julie... "What does your breeding program consist of and how do you go about it?" I wonder if there is a bunch of hens thrown in with a pen a male and then eggs are collected or sold in bulk or are individual parents selected for specific traits and each progeny then followed up on to determine the results?

Just some thoughts...

God Bless,

I'm sorry, but those two eggs are khaki green, not in any way blue. That color does not change.

ETA: And, there are no examples of that color in her ad.

Last edited:
Just for the record and why I'm so skeptical of what she has to say on most anything. This is the seller that used a UK breeder's picture of his blue orp from his website without permission to sell her blue orp eggs earlier this summer. Once she was contacted by me and another BYCer she took the picture down and said it was a "mistake" it was used. She claimed to have contacted the UK breeder, but when I emailed him he said he never had heard of her and that he certainly hadn't given anyone permission to use his picture. Then she threatened to report me to ebay for harrassment! I said go right ahead and that was the last I heard from her. I would just say buyer beware when dealing with this person.

My LF are laying even MORE now that is has cooled off a bit- and no artificial light for them (they start picking eachother). There was a post yesterday about Marans eggs on ebay- and the seller said the exact same thing- the eggs WILL BE lighter since it's the end of the laying cycle, but they are from the same birds that laid the dark eggs. It may be different with Marans and their "paint" though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom