BLUE-AMERAUCANA eggs not all blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
pips&peeps :

There are ameraucanas that lay green eggs. The standard calls for a blue or minty green egg. Sometimes off color eggs do pop up in purebred birds, that is why it is so important to chose your roo carefully and don't hatch those icky eggs.

There are some varieties that have still not been perfected. The whites and buffs still need lots of work. Their egg color can range from a minty green to a light khaki color.

The lavenders also have poor egg color because they were just developed. I do not know the egg color on the brown reds.

The blues,blacks, splashes, silvers, wheatens and blue wheatens all have very nice egg color and their should be no reason to hatch eggs that are not of good quality unless you have an exceptional bird that lays it.

This is why I get a little frustrated when people want to develop new colors. The original ones still need work!

So, my point is, yes, true ameraucanas can lay green eggs, but it is not up to standard. And, as a serious breeder you should not sell or hatch those eggs unless they are designated as a layer flock only bird.

oh wow really I did not know that about the buffs and egg color. The one I have that was on the eggbid auction was hatched from a blue egg for sure as I got them from Gary and he sent over 40 so I had to use 2 bators, anyway I separated out his bluest eggs (mostly araucana) but some were Ameraucana and he hatched from that bator. there were only 5 that hatched from that bator and I kept 3 sold one blue araucana and there is this buff roo. Darn I should have said that in the auction.
th.gif

Anyway from my understanding there is some leeway in color with the Ameraucanas like you said but the Araucanas can be only blue correct?​

Hi D73!
They are listed in the AMERAUCANA BREEDERS CLUB 2009 BREEDERS DIRECTORY which is why I bought from them.

Just looking at the egg pic only, I'd be disappointed.
That's not a good endorsement for AMERAUCANA BREEDERS CLUB / BREEDERS DIRECTORY, is it?
I frequently see people directed there for a RELIABLE 'source' for Ameraucana (check spelling. I've read that is also a clue to look for.)

As far as egg color goes, I will say straight and up-front --- my Ameraucana lay eggs that are blue/green/teal/aqua/mint -ish,
not anything greengreen like the green egg in your pic, though.
Julie is a member here still, maybe she'll post and explain why she included it.
wink.png

Lisa​

Out of the 7 eggs I got only 1 hatched. 1 died piping and 5 did nothing.
So sad.
sad.png
I got only 1. I wanted to raise a few.

Here is the one that hatched.

32914_009.jpg

32914_010.jpg

Last edited:
Poor thing! Oddly marked too because if it is blue (self blue or any shade of blue) it should not have that kind of markings. Maybe it could be blue wheaton.

Anyway hope it makes it to adulthood. I had some OK hatches from her eggs but shipping is hard on the eggs so I understood the risks. Always buy more than you need because sometimes you will end up having nothing or one or two.

Quote:
I have a lone quail thats 9 days old. The chick is 2 days old and the quail hides from the chick. It's kind of funny, but not much for company. I have some BCM due tomorrow though.

It has orange legs with a black streak going down both legs.
Is that common with Ameraucana ckicks or another sign of not being pure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom