Blue Ameraucana Gender??

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

All three look like pullet defiantly if they are all about/are the same age.

Ameraucanas are so hard to tell, the lighter blue might be cockerel, but then again might not. I'd give that one 50/50. The darker one is definitely a pullet, as is the olive egger. You can tell with the olive egger because of the shafting. That is a mighty nice Wellie boy, and the Wellie hens in the background look pretty nice too.

I like my Welsummers too much to crossbreed them, I'm using Marans hens to create my olive eggers. Well actually one of the hens in with the Aracauna roo is a "dark egg, black sexlilnk" which was from a Welsummer roo over a Cuckoo Marans hen (not my doing). My goal with the olive eggers and easter eggers is to put as much different color genetics into the flocks as possible so a person will be able to get nearly any color or pattern from my chicks. Someday I might put a cull Wellie hen in the olive egger pen but not yet.

I don't see any boys. If there were any, you'd already see the hackles get much darker than the neck and chest among other things - Those are all girls.

Thank you all for your input. I am really hoping both are girls, since I am sure I have at least one 7-week-old Ameraucana roo in the barn. It's hard for me to tell on these two. The comb is really not that big on the lighter one. Leg size is close to identical. None of them are overly aggressive either.

Also I am unsure which hen is the mixed-breed's mom. Dad is Welsummer. She looks like an EE, but she came from a brown egg. I only have two EE hens, one lays an olive green egg and the other hasn't started to lay (positive). Could my EE have produced brown eggs before she started with the green? Because my little pullet looks like an EE, I have decided to keep her just to see what color her eggs will be. I am not going to breed her. I thought she was a Barred rock/Welsummer cross. When she hatched, she was solid black with a red head (really cute)!! Her legs are a grayish color.

All girls. Definitely the blues are both pullets. By 8-10 weeks the blue boys are getting their saddle feathers which are pointy and really dark compared to the blue feathers already on their backs. If you part the feathers in the saddle area and look for new feathers coming in just in above and to the sides of the tail, you'll see small, narrow, almost black feathers coming in. But you won't see them in your case 'cause they're girls!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom