Blue Ameraucana Gender??

NC Chicken Lover

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 22, 2010
Hi. I would like some input on what gender my two 12-week-old Blue Ameraucanas might be. I am thinking the lighter one with the shorter tail is a roo and the darker one with the longer tail is a pullet. I believe the mixed-breed hatchmate is a pullet also. Her dad is my Welsummer roo (I included his pic also---just because he's a handsome fella). Thanks!!!

47567_103_0816.jpg

47567_103_0803.jpg

47567_103_0804.jpg

47567_103_0805.jpg

47567_103_0802.jpg

47567_103_0809.jpg

47567_103_0811.jpg

47567_103_0814.jpg

47567_103_0808.jpg

Last edited:
I think you're right
smile.png
I'm not seeing pointy feathers on your cockeral but that lack of tail is screaming boy to me.

ETA: Just relooked at the first pic; there are those sickle feathers! Can't tell for sure from your pics of the Wel/Amer but I'd guess pullet too and since I agree with your thoughts on the Americauana's, I'll go with your gut
smile.png

Last edited:
My gut tells me roo also, but I was really hoping for two pullets. I am new to this, so I am having trouble seeing the sickles on the lighter one. I have three younger ones in my barn (too young to put outside) and I am pretty sure one of those is a roo also. My smaller chicks (in the barn) were hatched from blue ameraucana eggs. The great part is one is white, one black and one blue. So cool!! I will post pics of them later.

I think the first one is a boy. The tail feathers are starting to curl. It's hard to tell, but it looks like there's saddle feathers too.

ETA: I think your other ameraucana is a girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say #1 is cockerel. See how much bigger his comb is compared to #2? The other two birds I'm assuming are pullets.

Gorgeous blues, btw.
smile.png

Hmmm. I'd say that last pic is definitely a boy.
cool.png
lau.gif

Seriously, the two blues look like my blue pullet. Does one have obviously thicker legs than the other? I have a splash roo and the first clue for me that it was a boy was that his legs looked like stumps compared to the others, who all turned out to be pullets.

Back
Top Bottom