Blue Ameraucana roo or hen?

coastiegrl

Songster
10 Years
Aug 20, 2013
Got this 'hen' from a friend who ordered a bunch of Blue Ameraucanas from a hatchery. I actually got 3 birds from him but 2 were killed by a predator while I was at work. But I saw this one mount one of my other hens yesterday. So now I'm thinking roo?
1000007012.jpg
1000007003.jpg
1000007001.jpg

Yes, definitely a cockerel. My Blue Ameraucana roo is super sweet.
Mine is too, but a little skittish. Hopefully that will stop once he gets more familiar with us. How old would you say he looks? My friend couldn't remember when he ordered them as chicks. Also, he's not crowing at all which is also why I was unsure about sex. Does yours crow?

Mine is too, but a little skittish. Hopefully that will stop once he gets more familiar with us. How old would you say he looks? My friend couldn't remember when he ordered them as chicks. Also, he's not crowing at all which is also why I was unsure about sex. Does yours crow?
I'd say he looks to be around four months or so. You could ask your friend when they got him to be sure of his age, though. I got my boy when he was seven months old, and he was crowing up a storm. He's almost four years now, and still crows every morning. Some boys just take longer to crow. Do you have any other roosters, or hens that push him around? He may be too intimidated by them to crow.

I'd say he looks to be around four months or so. You could ask your friend when they got him to be sure of his age, though. I got my boy when he was seven months old, and he was crowing up a storm. He's almost four years now, and still crows every morning. Some boys just take longer to crow. Do you have any other roosters, or hens that push him around? He may be too intimidated by them to crow.
He's my only roo, but I have 3 older hens that are about a year old and they do chase him away. He mounted my younger (and newer) hen. She's a black EE so they hang out together most of the time as they are both outsiders so to speak. Do you think he will become a little braver once he gets bigger? LOL

He's my only roo, but I have 3 older hens that are about a year old and they do chase him away. He mounted my younger (and newer) hen. She's a black EE so they hang out together most of the time as they are both outsiders so to speak. Do you think he will become a little braver once he gets bigger? LOL
I have a 18 week old Orpington cockerel who started crowing 6 days ago. Then started chasing the last pullet of the hatch around. And now he is the boss of the flock. But he is being rehomed tomorrow as i cant have cockerels/roosters.

Yes, he probably will! He’ll likely start asserting his dominance with the other hens soon, and crowing is part of that.

Back
Top Bottom