Blue Ameraucana thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TheCrazyClucker, Apr 28, 2013.

1. nasturtium

nasturtium New Egg

Jun 10, 2014
    Do Blue Ameraucanas ever have patches of reddish brown feathering? Would this be an example of poor breeding, that it's actually an EE, or that it's a really dark blue wheaten? She (think she's a girl) only started getting reddish feathers a week or so ago and is now about 9/10 weeks. She started out as a solid grey chick.

2. elorraine52

elorraine52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    south central MO
    I have a blue Am roo who has reddish brown on his wings, I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing either, any input would be appreciated!!

[​IMG]

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Well, the brown coming through means he/she is not to standard. If you have any other choices, it would be best not to use them for breeding.

If they are all you have, I do not know how hard it is to breed-out.

1 person likes this.
  4. ChickMom5711

ChickMom5711 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2014
    LaFayette, Georgia
    I h
    I have a "blue" (I think) pullet with some brown feathering as well. Trying to figure out what's going in with her.

5. ChickMom5711

ChickMom5711 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2014
    LaFayette, Georgia
    I wanted to see if any of you could help me with sexing these 4 8-weekers? I was told they are Blue Ameracaunas, but I believe they may be EEs. :/
    This is my lightest, I'm thinking cockerel, but also very "feminine" looking. Pea comb. Wattles. Both red. Tail shoots straight up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is my next lightest. Leaning toward pullet. Her lacing is beautiful, as is her coloring. Single comb. Pink. Tail waterfalls over.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My second darkest, this one looks just like a Brown Red Pullet. Looks like a pea comb. Pink. Tail shoots straight up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is my darkest. Almost black, with domed visible lacing. Looks like a pea comb. Pink. Tail shoots straight up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any guesses? :)

6. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    @ChickMom5711 Due to all the comb differences, those are probably mixed breeds, or EEs.

7. campheadgirl

campheadgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2014
    northwest Florida
    I have two true blue ameracuana roos. One is a much darker blue than the others including the pullets. All the others have nice edging on their feathers. If he does I can't tell because he is so dark. Which would be best for breeding? The richer color orthe nice edging. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
    :D

8. elorraine52

Jan 2, 2014
    south central MO
    Well, thanks!! I will not be using him anyway b/c he got killed by a dog. What I have now left, is 2 blue splash roo's and 2 blue pullets, none have the brown feathers.

[​IMG]

one of the blue pullets
    [​IMG]

and the other, darker one
    [​IMG]

one of the blue splash roo's
    [​IMG]

and the other blue splash, not sure which I will use to breed to the 2 hens yet. What do you think?

9. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    I like the second splash rooster.

10. elorraine52

Jan 2, 2014
    south central MO
    thanks wishapup, that was my inclination too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by