Blue Andalusian pecking wound

glenstorm

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Malvern, PA
Hi fellow Chicken keepers,

I have a Blue Andalusian that was wounded by her coop mates two days ago. I let them down from the coop and noticed her comb was all bloody. I grabbed her and cleaned out the wound with warm water and put triple antibiotic ointment on it. The wound was about 1/4 inch square. It seemed to be healing well until this morning. Some of the skin has developed a greenish hue. I headed out to the feed store to consult with the chicken expert there. He was out sick. The person I did talk to suggested just using blue kote. I was skeptical that this would be enough at this point with green skin. So I grabbed a bag of Manna Pro Aureomycin just in case.

I wondering what others suggest at this point. I'll use the Blue Kote but do I have time to wait and see if the Aureomycin is necessary? Should I give it right away?

On a side note I am confused by the dosing info of the Aureomycin. For chickens it says to give 200g/ton. Is that per ton of feed or chickens?

Thanks!!

Dan

I don't know much at all about the dosage of Aureomycin, but I highly reccommend blu-cote for any wound. It heals and deters any hens from the wound. For the time being, keep it clean and when you can, apply a good dose of blu-cote and don't let her come in contact with the other hens until you have applied blu-cote, they'll just make it a whole lot worse. I'll be praying for your lil girl!

Last edited:
So she seems to be doing better. Funny thing about the blue-kote is I can't judge if the green hue is going away since everything is blue now. Are you supposed to wash it off and reapply it daily or just apply it as it wears off?

Thanks for everyone's help.

I can't help with dosage suggestions but def. keep her away from the other chickens until the wound heals over. Sometimes if you call your local vet, they can give you dosage advise over the phone for free. Depends on your vet! :)

Back
Top Bottom