Blue/Black Orps & Ameraucanas, 4 & 2 Wks Old

Cyn, if your referring to the one in pic 2, I'd say the comb is a bit thick, but it is still too young for me to take a guess on gender. Breeding black and better lacing does help, but I also noticed that the lacing can come in better after their first moult so I wouldn't be too quick to judge them. I've seen splashes feather back in as a completely different looking bird after their first moult as well, with much more defined and consistent splashing.

Jody

So true about the later feathering! I know that Velvet, Suede and Skye all could have better lacing, though, and I assume they will pass that trait on to their offspring. Well, I have a bunch more Ameraucana eggs in the hatcher and bator, ten or twelve I think, so surely I'll get the three pullets I need in the end, one for me, one for my friend Kate and one for another lady who wants one of each of my three breeds. What I'll do about an Orp pullet, I don't know. Don't have but three of those in the hatcher and bator to get a girl from. Dang, I already hatched two boys here!

Back
Top Bottom