Blue Cochin 20wk old boy or girl??

jakatak

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 28, 2012

Hi all, ive only just joined and wondered if anyone with any cochin experience could tell me what this 15 week old heffalump is (top pic), i desperately dont want it to be a boy, even tho i call him, him! He/shes adorable and so friendly.

Thanks so much, he/shes 20 weeks on sunday.

8-9 months. Cochin's mature really slow. I have had my share of Roos and the Cochin roosters are the sweetest most generous boys ever!

I'd wait and see until it is for sure. Lots of people said pullet. Usually if I have a bad bully I get rid of her. They often cause stress on everyone. You could try adding Obstacles in the coop ( out of sight out of mind) or seperate the bully for a few days. I sound so cold... And I'm eating a chicken sandwich! :p

Here is a picture of one of my LF cochins pullets taken yesterday) at about 8 months of age she just started laying aobut 4 weeks ago

Here is a picture of one of the cochins in my grow out pen she is about 17 weeks at this point

Here is the above pullets hatch mate about 17 weeks.

I only have frizzles at the right age at this time to demonstrate, my smooths are all boys and much older.

Last edited:
Awwwww.., I was hoping I was wrong. :(. At least you found a good home for him. Usually I like to integrate with numbers so I would take out a couple of my mid pecking order hens and put them in a large crate for a week with the newbies at my relatives for a bonding " vacation" . Once back they have bonded over their stressful " vacation" away from home and flock together. Also distraction in the coop ( cabbage ball, straw bales, milk crates) help.

looks like a pullet but I don't know much about Cochins though!
By the way you have a good looking Cochin there!!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom