Blue Colombian genetics ???

Hello,

Quick question, on the calculator, what gene causes the black/white hackles around the neck for a colombian? I've had a hard time creating the color pattern that my cockerals have.

The hackle striping is default but differs in strength with the so called E-locus allele. Wildtype e+ have moderate striping, Wheatens e^Wh have little hackle pattern and "Brown" e^b have the most hackle black. In my opinion normal wildtype based (e+) columbian cockerels have pretty little hackle striping. e^b is far better.
Light sussex are wheaten based but still have decent hackle striping. This may require a hackle black enhancer like the gene that lakenvelders have (they are e^b based).

Last edited:
I was looking for a Plymouth Rock genetics thread and found this, so I hope some genetic experts can help me:

I have a blue Plymouth Rock rooster who people have been telling me looks like a birchen. I was wondering, what crosses make a birchen?
He's also blue, rather than black, so would that make him a blue birchen?

I was looking for a Plymouth Rock genetics thread and found this, so I hope some genetic experts can help me:

I have a blue Plymouth Rock rooster who people have been telling me looks like a birchen. I was wondering, what crosses make a birchen?
He's also blue, rather than black, so would that make him a blue birchen?

He resembles a blue birchen. but its not. and I´ll explain why..

Blue Birchen are birds based on the Birchen e allele ER but also carry the blue gene(which is one copy of splash. two copies of blue will give you a splash bird).. Blue birchen have a blue body with Silver/straw colored hackles(just like your bird) Saddle feathers(which your birds lack) and Silver/Straw colored Shoulders(which your bird clearly lacks)

here is a Blue Birchen Maran

so as you can see your bird is not quite Birchen right? well if is not Birchen what is it?

here take a look a Blue Rock rooster.
72957_img_1893.jpg

take a close look at his hackles. you see some faint color leaking. thats whats going on with your bird. but to a much grater extent. why does this happen? well its believe that when you breed Blue to Blue and do it for a long time then you will start losing Melanizers. so your best bet is going to be use your roo with black rock hens and this will fix this issue. he could also be crossed with columbian rocks.. so just cross him back to black rock hens

this issue also happens with black birds. mostly birds that are heterozygous for the Extended black e allele E. so they are E/e+ and have some restrictors..

here is a perfect sample of it

Back
Top Bottom