Blue Colombian genetics ???

Either the blue hen is hiding a recessive Wheaten or Partridge gene (depends on what the breed is) or the White (more likely) is hiding Wheaten, Partridge, and/or Columbian with blue. Whites can hide a lot of mysteries.

It's a Plymouth rock. It just started getting feathers long enough to tell hmmm something's up here. Lol. I'll post more photos as she (assuming its a hen) matures. I think she'll be quite pretty.

That makes sense about the white. I didn't play around with the white in the chicken calculator. The blue hen would produce nothing but blue according to that. (I think)

How would you breed this hen to keep this color going? Will she produce white? Or since she isn't white she won't pass that on?

Interestingly enough, I put a white rock hen in with my blue plymouth rock rooster, and hatched out one chick that has perfect columbian markings. Surprised me!

So what color Colombian? What happened to the blue color? I thought (according to the chicken calculator) that the blue would be dominant and carry over to the offspring. ???

Was it blue with Colombian markings?

No, its white with columbian markings. Im fairly sure the markings are black, tho I guess they could be dark blue. Ill have to check. Im pretty sure they are black, tho.

Updated pictures in first post.

I ***think*** this is lavender??? It appears two hatched like this from black colombian rocks.

No personal experience with lavender, but from what I have read, being recessive, it could be possible that both parents carried a hidden copy.

Now as to blue, if it's there it shows. Unless in some cases splash can be hard to detect. I have a few splash columbian Brahma hens that you really have to look close to detect anything other than a all white bird.

As to a breeding plan, I believe I would breed it back to it's parent, in case it is lavender.

I would if I could (breed her back to the dad),, but I don't have the parent. I bought the eggs from yard full o'rocks so Scott has the parents. He can, (he thinks he has one of these as well) but I'll have to breed her to a black colombian cockeral from the same hatch she came from and then breed those brothers/sisters to get lavender (assuming it's lavender.

My plan is to get as many 'on the ground' as I can quickly even if it means hatching pullet eggs.

The interesting thing about her is that of all the chicks that hatched 17 of 18 eggs, she has the most yellow legs of everyone. School bus yellow.

Updated pictures in first post.

I ***think*** this is lavender??? It appears two hatched like this from black colombian rocks.
It not "Lavender".
I've crossed a Light (Columbian) Brahma Rooster over a Blue Hen and got that same color pattern.
If you cross it back to a Columbian Rock then you should get Black and Blue marked Columbian patterned offspring.

I would say one if not both parents are out of a Columbian and Blue cross some where down the line.

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom