Blue comb only 60 degrees?

ZoomiesMom72

Songster
May 7, 2021
Cordova Alabama
My isa brown quit laying 3 weeks ago.She seemed to have had uri when I purchased her.She laid well for 2 to 3 months.She has stopped altogether laying.Her comb had finally turned a perky red not pale and she was laying great! This morning she came out of the coop last with a blue comb.it only got 60 last night.I am not sure this is a heat problem or could she possibly have other issues.She always struts the yard this am she is hiding on my porch with her face in her wings.None of the other 8 have this problem.There was a good rain last night.I am not sure if this will clear on its own.Or should I give her a round of antibiotics.I havent considered a heat source yet due to only getting down in the 60s.Pleass any help? Im not a 100% knowledgeable in this dept.
16349120816337361472585307061743.jpg

I've had persistent problems this year with my two production breeds. Their behavior and appearance was similar to that of your hen. How old is she?

Yes, I agree with you that an oral antibiotic is in order. I've had good luck with amoxicillin 250mg. What antibiotic are you in possession of?

Yes, often doubling the first dose is a good idea. Your amoxy will work just fine.

She's also of age for first adult molt. This can lower resistance to bacteria and cause the sort infection your hen could be dealing with. Boosting her diet, and the general flock, with additional animal protein during molt is a good idea. I give canned mackerel or scrambled egg a couple times a week. Live meal worms are 50% protein and make an excellent protein supplement during molt.

Yes, often doubling the first dose is a good idea. Your amoxy will work just fine.

She's also of age for first adult molt. This can lower resistance to bacteria and cause the sort infection your hen could be dealing with. Boosting her diet, and the general flock, with additional animal protein during molt is a good idea. I give canned mackerel or scrambled egg a couple times a week. Live meal worms are 50% protein and make an excellent protein supplement during molt.
Thank you so much I really had a panic.I noticed now that she out in the sun she is getting red again.But she is not foraging at all today just in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom