Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

he came from a gal in Vancouver WA who has a small flock, I bought 6 hatching eggs from her & got 5 Roos & a pullet but she didn't make it, he was the only splash & the only one I kept
Sorry to hear about your pullet. I ordered eggs from Michigan and also Illinois. The eggs/chicks ended up being very poor quality so I didn't keep any of them. I decided to breed my own from the very small flock I have (two hens and one unrelated Splash rooster). I picked up some blue copper chicks last month, but afterwards the lady admitted that they were "project" birds. I can't be sure if I will keep them until I see how they feather out and if they lay dark enough eggs. So far they are very dark blue but are already showing copper on their necks.

I just hatched a dozen eggs and one came out brown with black spots with feather on its legs. Is this normal? Or is this a mystery chicken?

I bought them from a lady. Her chickens were pen up in kennel type homes so I assume there was no way it could mate with another. I hatched out 10 eggs, 4 blue, 5 black and this little guy. They all had the feathers on thier legs. My only good guess is that it's a mutation but I am not really good at that whole gene/ mutation thing.

Hello! I picked up 4 Marans a couple weeks ago and am looking for some insight/confirmation into what color they are/will be. Two are 2-3 weeks old, I am pretty confident they are splash marans. The other two looked like Black Marans or Black Copper Marans at first, now I am wondering if I have one Blue Copper and one Black. Here are some photos....if you need better photos, let me know and I can work on that tomorrow.

The lighter one has copper coming in around the neck area. I don't see any copper yet on the darker one. Oh, they are 5-6 weeks old. Thanks!

Last edited:
It is really hard to tell from your pics, but it looks like one is black and the other one might be blue. None of them are splash. They are also a lot older than 2 or 3 weeks.

It is really hard to tell from your pics, but it looks like one is black and the other one might be blue.  None of them are splash.  They are also a lot older than 2 or 3 weeks.  

Sorry I wasn't clear in my post. I have two others that are splash. They are 2-3 weeks. The ones in the photos are around 6 weeks. I'll try to get better photos of the two older ones.

Quote:
Here are some better pictures. I did the math and they are 7 weeks and 2 days old. Any thoughts on what color they are? I thought I was purchasing 2 Black or Black Copper Marans. I am starting to wonder if the lighter one is a Blue Copper Maran. I would be thrilled if this was the case. It looks much lighter than the black one, but darker than pictures of Blue Copper Marans I see online. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom