Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
Well, our Blue Copper didn't win so much because some of our other birds stole the spotlight, but we definitely had a great time at the poultry show today! The judge was wonderful with my daughter, carefully explaining what he was looking for. Thank you so much for all the advice and help getting us ready for our first show! we loved it, it certainly won't be the last!
very glad to hear it went so well!

Well, after going through the blue copper boys and sharing pics with Gilavina, all my potential blue copper roos just didn't make the cut so they went to freezer camp. Neither did my copper splashes. We do have some offspring form the better copper splash so hopefully those will carry on!

We have hatched out about 35 chicks (small bators) and again, have several wheatens (or we think they are; born yellow. The only other wheaten we have is a hen, well feathered legs, nice dark terra cotta egg and wheaten in color). There may be a boy in this batch.

So hopefully will have a decent blue copper in one of these hatches.

I wonder if you all would be so kind as to help me guess at this baby's sex? S/he's a hatchery stock Blue Copper from Meyer, so I know there's some variability because of this. (we don't show or breed, just a small backyard coop)

Anyway... This baby is 4 weeks exactly. Very sweet, but huge compared to my other chicks. Feathered fast, but looks like maybe pinking in the comb... :(

I'd love your expert opinion on it:

I wonder if you all would be so kind as to help me guess at this baby's sex? S/he's a hatchery stock Blue Copper from Meyer, so I know there's some variability because of this. (we don't show or breed, just a small backyard coop)

Anyway... This baby is 4 weeks exactly. Very sweet, but huge compared to my other chicks. Feathered fast, but looks like maybe pinking in the comb... :(

I'd love your expert opinion on it:

Just going on what I know of how it is with large pullets here and their feather growth and body type at that age, I'd say pullet.

This is goofy my Blue Copper Marans Rooster he is 5 months old. Do you think he will lose the lighter colored feathers as he matures? I bought 9 cuckoo marans chicks that were supposed to be BCM but they are Cuckoo's 7 hens and 2 cockerels pretty good ratio. So I am going to get 14 blue and splash chicks next week to grow out and get some hens for him.

This is goofy my Blue Copper Marans Rooster he is 5 months old. Do you think he will lose the lighter colored feathers as he matures? I bought 9 cuckoo marans chicks that were supposed to be BCM but they are Cuckoo's 7 hens and 2 cockerels pretty good ratio. So I am going to get 14 blue and splash chicks next week to grow out and get some hens for him.

The white tail feathers are not what you would want to breed for if you are breeding to the future APA SOP. Also he should have some kind of foot feathering.

in general, should a blue marans rooster have more or less copper coloring on their chest to meet french standard? i have some cockrels with hardly any copper on their chest and then i have others with a bunch that sort of follows the breastbone down. just curious, thanks

Last edited:
in general, should a blue marans rooster have more or less copper coloring on their chest to meet french standard? i have some cockrels with hardly any copper on their chest and then i have others with a bunch that sort of follows the breastbone down. just curious, thanks
I assume you are talking about Blue Copper Marans. There should be no copper in the chest but I suppose a few copper feathers will be acceptable just like in the Black copper. I prefer to have no copper feathers in the breast area,

Back
Top Bottom