Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Pics
Yes. I believe your first chick photo'd is a pullet and the second one with the lighter legs is a cockerel.
Thank you Pink I didn't know that, is that every time in the splashes? If so I only have one girl and two boy splash
roll.png
. Lol.
she was not sexing them based on leg color.

Last edited:
Hi Ms. Vicki! Have missed talking with you....just been very distracted over here lately. Hope you are doing good.

Don~ I have the rudimentary toe thing happen in my birds even though they all have nice long toes, I just cull the birds with the short toe unless they have something to work with.

Can we talk toe nail color and hackle stripe width?

What causes 2 toenails to be white like they should be and 1 toenail to be dark slate like the leg color?

Also, I know we have talked several times about the width of the hackle stripe, but cannot recall to memory what it is that we are specifically looking for and what the differences of the wide stripe is vs. the very narrow stripe are.

Thanks in advance!

Also, what would cause a very docile and friendly 3+ year old rooster to go ballistic on a young pullet and nearly kill her?

My Blue Copper rooster, Lil' Bill grabbed one of my young 3 month old pullets last night and hurt her very badly. I ended up putting her down this mornind due to her injuries. He was not trying to mount her.....he was just attacking her. NEVER has Lil' Bill ever tried anything like this and he has helped raised many many babies and young birds and always been a great foster dad.

Hi Ms. Vicki! Have missed talking with you....just been very distracted over here lately. Hope you are doing good.

Don~ I have the rudimentary toe thing happen in my birds even though they all have nice long toes, I just cull the birds with the short toe unless they have something to work with.

What causes 2 toenails to be white like they should be and 1 toenail to be dark slate like the leg color?

Also, I know we have talked several times about the width of the hackle stripe, but cannot recall to memory what it is that we are specifically looking for and what the differences of the wide stripe is vs. the very narrow stripe are.

Thanks in advance!
KIM, will post something later today on these things as I have done considerable work with both. Will also post a picture of one of the 1/2 wheaten and the 1/2 BC. I made the cross just to see what would hatch. These chicks have the shank and feet feathering of my line of BC. They are out of the 4 year old male in my Avatar.

Thanks in advance!
Kim, I have never seen anything on what color the Marans toe nail should be. I know if they have black legs they can not have white toenails.Now with a Marans with a darker shank and toe you will get the slate colored toe nail.

I have a (I think blue splash) marans rooster that is such a dignified gentleman. He has helped raise chicks and even is "fostering" 25 rosecomb RIR's. He has never shown any aggression. I was curious on what you think of him. He is broad chested and heavy. I need to weigh him some day. Is he splash or a combination of blue copper or the such.
I do have a couple of splash marans hens also that he has been in with and are incubating some eggs. He also has been used to create some good sized easter eggers.

Last edited:
Kim, will post something on the flame stripe on the marans Hackle. If you want a very narrow stripe you must breed more to the Mahogany color Hackle, this is my preference for Male color when picking breeder males. The lighter the hackle the wider the Flame . With the Copper colored Hackle you will get a medium size Flame.

The BC males that have the Wheaten influence will have a very large Hackle Flame.

If you have dark colored female you are using I can tell you how to get Hackle color in the Pullet offspring if you are interested and it is a proven breeding concept.

We all have to remember that the best fowl are not very seldom the best breeders when working toward the APA SOP. I am a firm believer that to get good Males and good female the only way to it is Double mate. This is a little more work but you can cut the Culling down to almost nothing.

One thing that I think is the most important item for picking the BC and Blue Copper breeder males is never use the white leg male, You want to use a Med. to Dark Shank and feet male. Do not worry about what the Standard for the Marans says as this is incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom