Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

I have two Blue Copper Maran pullets that are 12 weeks old. One has a good bit of copper on her neck, the second is starting to get some coppery feathers. What strikes me is that the two hens have different color eyes. One is a golden brown (the one with more copper), the second is dark brown...almost black. Is a specific eye color common, or can both be found in Blue Copper Marans? Both have feathered feet. Sorry, I don't have close ups of their eyes, but below are pictures:

the standard of perfection says they need to have red bay eyes but dark eyes are also common because the breed is susceptible to over melanization.

Anyone want to help me I.D. The gender? Roo or pullet? 11 weeks
I quoted both posts to get the pictures close. My guess is pullet because of the similarities in the size of comb between my pullets and yours. I feel confident that mine are pullets because my friend has a roo that was hatched at the same time as mine, and his comb is HUGE and bright red.

I quoted both posts to get the pictures close.  My guess is pullet because of the similarities in the size of comb between my pullets and yours.  I feel confident that mine are pullets because my friend has a roo that was hatched at the same time as mine, and his comb is HUGE and bright red.
I guess I won't sell him or her yet. I think I will hold on to her and see what happens. Thanks everyone, she is a pretty bird!

same chick

These are pics of each of my chicks. I have 2 of the same one. What do ya'll think they are?
keep in mind black copper marans just recently got accept by the APA. And that means the breed has not been stabilized so only experienced breeders have good quality stock since it's still a work in progress. A newbie who doesn't know how to breed these birds will create birds with messed up coloring. That's what I think happened here. they're not crossed with any other breed or variety

Anybody feel like this young boy has potential? He is a big boy and very friendly.

Back
Top Bottom