Blue Copper and Splash Copper Marans Discussion

Vicki, That BC male is one of the best looking Marans I have ever seen in a picture or in person. Great job.

Thanks Don....I'm totally sure now that he's grown into himself a bit more that he is the last son of Gigantor. I am so happy to have him. This year all I have left here on the place for possible Males to work with (depending on the quality of the ones growing out now) are Big Boy (in my avatar), A blue copper male I held from last year's hatch, Big Boy's Splash son, Hog in the photos from last night, The black copper (Gigantor's son), two blue copper males in the older group, and two blue copper males in the younger group. I'm hopeful about all 4 of the blue copper chicks, one I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up culling, there's nothing outright wrong with him, I just don't like him as much as the other three. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and letting him grow into his body a bit more, but something just tells me he's gonna still look like two different birds smashed together. He lacks the balance I've worked so hard to get, so would rather not take a step backwards using him in a program with all the other options I have. l am sure I will be able to hold back 3 to 5 males and be totally happy with them from the available options and end up with a really nice start to next spring's hatching season. I will have 21 pullets altogether to pick from (not counting one mossy black copper, haven't had one of those in quite a while). I'm gonna try to retire the oldest batch of hens that are coming up to 5 and 6 years old...they still lay well, but want to be prepared in case we have a bad winter and lose any. It's always hardest on the oldest ones.

Last edited:
Your Marans are looking good Vicki,, as usual, they are really coming along nicely.
Love the black copper male, splash copper has great shape to him as well.
Keep up the great work !!!
Thanks Ray.... I waited to move the next batch of chicks yesterday cause we were supposed to get quite a bit of rain, but it shifted around us, so think I'll be moving them to a larger grow out pen today. I'll see about getting some pics of them today if I can. Its catch up day around here, so never know what I'll get up to.
So far, this is the fewest number of chicks I've hatched since I started with the marans and have the best consistency of quality I have so far. Out of 43 chicks this year, I have 28 I've held back that are all on par with each other as far as quality goes. Probably the majority of the 28 will end up staying here, its gonna be hard to decide for sure.

They are all looking great Vicki, very consistent which does make it more difficult to decide which to keep but a great situation to be in.
I have a few that will definitely be staying, hoping a few more of the younger ones will step up to the keeper list as well.

Here is one of the blue coppers I have been keeping a close eye on;

Hi BYC community. My friends neighbor who is about 85 years old told me these birds are Blue Ostrolorps and they lay dark chocolate eggs but they look a lot like Blue Copper Marans. I know BO's lay light brown eggs and BCM's lay chocolate eggs. They are pullets about to lay. Their disposition is SUPER friendly and want to be in my lap constantly. Can someone verify what they are and if they are BCM's. Do you know where I could get a rooster to breed them?

One last thing. I paid $80 for the pair because he said they are rare. Was this a good deal?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi BYC community. My friends neighbor who is about 85 years old told me these birds are Blue Ostrolorps and they lay dark chocolate eggs but they look a lot like Blue Copper Marans. I know BO's lay light brown eggs and BCM's lay chocolate eggs. They are pullets about to lay. Their disposition is SUPER friendly and want to be in my lap constantly. Can someone verify what they are and if they are BCM's. Do you know where I could get a rooster to breed them?

One last thing. I paid $80 for the pair because he said they are rare. Was this a good deal?
Thanks!

It was a Good deal for him! LOL!!

Dan

Back
Top Bottom