Blue copper maran sexing

Oh wow! Yes! I got 9 roos and one Pullet. That was an order through a feed store that got them from Ideal. My next order - after finding some one to take 8 roos (we thought a slow developing one was a Pullet), we made our next order from Cackle and had much better results. But. Yeah - wow 🤯 horrifying experience for someone who hadn't had chickens in 40 years! And my husband never had.
That sounds terrible!! What in the world

I think the second photo looks like a male to me - but I don't know much about Marans - except they lay beautiful chocolate eggs 🥚. Well, and I know the males don't. Lol. The feathering doesn't look definitive yet though. Unless I'm missing it since I'm on my phone and not the PC, I don't see obvious saddle feathers or pointed cape.

I think the second photo looks like a male to me - but I don't know much about Marans - except they lay beautiful chocolate eggs 🥚. Well, and I know the males don't. Lol. The feathering doesn't look definitive yet though. Unless I'm missing it since I'm on my phone and not the PC, I don't see obvious saddle feathers or pointed cape.
Thank you ! At least marans make pretty roosters lol

Update : not much has changed with appearance of comb and wattles, but I do have a question.

What about the way they hold their tails ? The one y’all think is a pullet kind of holds her tail like ____ where the one y’all are thinking pullet or cockerel is holding its tail | . It’s hard to explain. Maybe yall understand what I’m asking ?

Update : not much has changed with appearance of comb and wattles, but I do have a question.

What about the way they hold their tails ? The one y’all think is a pullet kind of holds her tail like ____ where the one y’all are thinking pullet or cockerel is holding its tail | . It’s hard to explain. Maybe yall understand what I’m asking ?
The angulation of the tail is no indication of the sex.
It is rather genetics and often it depends on the health and energetic condition of the bird as well as serving as indicator of the rank within their hierarchy.

The angulation of the tail is no indication of the sex.
It is rather genetics and often it depends on the health and energetic condition of the bird as well as serving as indicator of the rank within their hierarchy.
I never knew that! Thank you! It’s weird because I’ve always seen that my cockerels will hold their tails higher when they are younger . Maybe it’s because cockerels are like higher in their hierarchy ??

I never knew that! Thank you! It’s weird because I’ve always seen that my cockerels will hold their tails higher when they are younger . Maybe it’s because cockerels are like higher in their hierarchy ??
It mostly depends on the breeds. White Leghorns, Serama and some Japanese breeds for instance will hold their tail very or extremely high.

It mostly depends on the breeds. White Leghorns, Serama and some Japanese breeds for instance will hold their tail very or extremely high.
Shes never had leghorns or anything else you mentioned, but her cockerels almost always held their tails up high and their tails high but like you said that could be a hierarchy thing . The only cockerels I can think of that didn’t were her Wyandotte Roos .

Shes never had leghorns or anything else you mentioned, but her cockerels almost always held their tails up high and their tails high but like you said that could be a hierarchy thing . The only cockerels I can think of that didn’t were her Wyandotte Roos .
So I had to ask haha . But I’m glad I know now that it isn’t true .

Back
Top Bottom