Blue egg laying gene

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
Does anyone know where the blue egg laying gene comes from, is it the father or mother?

I have an aracuana lavender rooster, and 2 white silkie/leghorn cross hens that have the same head profile (tufts of feathers) but probably both will lay white eggs.

Any idea how i can develop blue egg laying strain with these 3.

Does anyone know where the blue egg laying gene comes from, is it the father or mother?

I have an aracuana lavender rooster, and 2 white silkie/leghorn cross hens that have the same head profile (tufts of feathers) but probably both will lay white eggs.

Any idea how i can develop blue egg laying strain with these 3.
It does not matter whether it is the male or female parent, as long as one of them are pure bred araucana or both parents have at least one blue/green egger gene.

In case your lavender araucana is pure bred, breeding him to your Silkie/Leghorns will have their female offspring laying blue/green eggs.

Thanks, so what would be the best approach to get to breed standard with the trio that i have ? Breed chicks from the 2 silkie cross hens back to the purebreed aracuana rooster ?

Thanks, so what would be the best approach to get to breed standard with the trio that i have ? Breed chicks from the 2 silkie cross hens back to the purebreed aracuana rooster ?

Get pure araucana in the first place. If that's too hard, then yes. But it'll take ages and a lot of careful breeding to bring these birds back to the standard. Best to start with pure araucana

Last edited:
Get pure ameraucana in the first place. If that's too hard, then yes. But it'll take ages and a lot of careful breeding to bring these birds back to the standard. Best to start with pure ameraucana
What are you trying to get? I see nothing about Ameraucana, only that you have a male araucana and no hens

Yes i am trying to get an aracuana strain from a rooster only and 2 silkie/leghorn cross hens that look like the aracuana (with the feathery head and beard)

Here are the pair which i think should produce offspring that lay blue eggs and also if i breed back to the rooster can get closer to Aracuana standards ?

Attachments

• Aracuana_Silkie2.JPG
    Aracuana_Silkie2.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Aracuana_Silkie.JPG
    Aracuana_Silkie.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom