Blue Favaucana

I bought mine from MPC.
@Ziphie ,Where did you get your favacana? Did you buy her or hatch her?

I wasn't drawn in by the fancy name or thought I was getting something special because it was a bit on the pricey side. I just wanted a bit of color in my run and in my egg basket.. They don't hide the breeds used to make them, so they would be easy enough for someone to breed their own. Me personally, I like the variety and I don't have the room to keep more than 2 roosters so my rooster to hen ratio doesn't cause issues, ( I cant free range here) so I buy my chicks and the roosters are usually the sneaky pullets that turn out to be roos.

I only started this thread to share my photos and observations and for others to do the same, not to debate if they are a real breed or the cost of the bird. I get they are a mutt, but so are the eggers and there are tons of pictures out there for comparison.

Well I would have screwed that up. I read in an old thread they were a cross between a blue ameraucana and a salmon faverolle. What would I get if I used a blue roo (or even a black) on the salmon hens? (I really hate the look of splash!)

If I was to make them I'd use a blue Wheaton Ameraucana rooster over salmon Faverolle hens.
That would give you something with a little more excitement then just a solid color.
Should be pretty close to the salmon color but little darker on the brown parts.
And also same thing but blue where the black is on the hens.
Roosters would be Wheaton pattern but carrying silver and gold so they could be black or blue with so yellowish gold to add a little more to their looks.
Just what I would do to make the cross.
You could also get the Wheaton and blue Wheaton Ameraucana hens. They would breed pure with the blue Wheaton rooster and give you wheaton, blue Wheaton and splash Wheaton chicks.
Then throw in some black and blue copper marans hens and that would give you a black and blue copper marans look with probably less then copper color in the hackles.

I know this is an old thread, but I just made this cross so I thought I’d add some pics here for reference

I have just 3 chicks from a salmon fav rooster x splash Ameraucana hen

Two are a darker blue and one is lighter, all have 5 toes on each foot and feathered feet

A couple of these are not the best pictures... but I’ll try to get more as they age

2 look like this
1AD71206-C8FF-401A-A136-72B5386117CA.jpeg

06E7B712-CB09-4E56-9165-6B03FFFA08AD.jpeg
EA864490-3730-4FA8-BBD6-2B53C7CF14C8.jpeg

7C434474-FB89-422B-86C2-52BCC5FE304A.jpeg

And one is a bit lighter
434E4359-0C15-45A5-89BA-EA41ABC94AC7.jpeg

Last edited:
Started getting some eggs from one ( or both? ) of the favaucana pullets a couple of weeks ago

As expected they’re green...

particularly compared to the Ameracuanas more blue eggs, unfortunately I don’t have one of those to compare to right now

In this picture the darker eggs are from buff orps and the lighter browns are from salmon Faverolles

FF25E83B-AC1A-45A4-98F5-5F41AB3737CD.jpeg

I bought mine from MPC.

I wasn't drawn in by the fancy name or thought I was getting something special because it was a bit on the pricey side. I just wanted a bit of color in my run and in my egg basket.. They don't hide the breeds used to make them, so they would be easy enough for someone to breed their own. Me personally, I like the variety and I don't have the room to keep more than 2 roosters so my rooster to hen ratio doesn't cause issues, ( I cant free range here) so I buy my chicks and the roosters are usually the sneaky pullets that turn out to be roos.

I only started this thread to share my photos and observations and for others to do the same, not to debate if they are a real breed or the cost of the bird. I get they are a mutt, but so are the eggers and there are tons of pictures out there for comparison.
I love My Pet Chicken, they are the only ones I get my birds from. I like their creative mixes, so keep sharing your pictures. After what I pay for other critters I get an 18 dollar chicken is nothing. I like that I have choices.

She's very mellow and bigger than the EEs but she started out as the smallest chick and surprisingly she became the flock's alpha early on.

I too am noticing mine is getting to be good sized. She's 15 weeks and is the same size as my 21 week old wyandottes. I remember one day when I was out visiting with them I picked her up and all I thought was "wow you're heavy" :lol: I couldn't believe the difference in her weight compared to the others that were the same age. This was when they were about 7 or 8 weeks.

Thanks for asking!

They’re uncooperative is how they are, Lol

I’ve tried to get some pics a few times in the last week or so... these are the best I have been able to do.

The light one is feathered in as expected:
A7572296-1CFE-42DF-A886-667FCCE75FF5.jpeg

Here she is with one of the darker ones:
511C642D-F276-4AF3-9A73-41398928FCEC.jpeg

I’m all but certain that this one has decided he wants to crow when grows up, this picture is a week or so old
C646C731-4ABA-4B85-85D3-148CEB12855C.jpeg

I just took this pic of all three on the roost, you can see a lot of the red leakage that is coming in on the suspected cockerel, I think he’s going to be kind of an interesting looking fella
13927981-5E78-4A15-8556-F694E1540369.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom