Blue Favaucana

I bought mine from MPC.
@Ziphie ,Where did you get your favacana? Did you buy her or hatch her?

I wasn't drawn in by the fancy name or thought I was getting something special because it was a bit on the pricey side. I just wanted a bit of color in my run and in my egg basket.. They don't hide the breeds used to make them, so they would be easy enough for someone to breed their own. Me personally, I like the variety and I don't have the room to keep more than 2 roosters so my rooster to hen ratio doesn't cause issues, ( I cant free range here) so I buy my chicks and the roosters are usually the sneaky pullets that turn out to be roos.

I only started this thread to share my photos and observations and for others to do the same, not to debate if they are a real breed or the cost of the bird. I get they are a mutt, but so are the eggers and there are tons of pictures out there for comparison.

Ok the skinny on favacanas, it's a faverolles roo bred to an ameracuna hen. It only breeds true the first generation so it's a one and done breed. You get a nice little bird that should by all accounts lay blue. Mostly the temperament of a faverolles but with a little more fighting spirit. If all goes well im going to have some in the spring, eggs anyway got to bake them yourself. No outrageous prices either, that's not cool.
Does the roo have to be a faverolle, or will an ameraucana roo over a faverolle hen give the same result?

*Edit for inadequate caffeine. Half EE isn't accurate for this cross. Leaving my opinionated opinion for EE from MPC reference anyway. Apologies.

They are super pretty but I wouldn't buy any and that's for the 50%. I currently am raising MPC Faverolles and 2 Easter Eggers among other breeds from them. They are all delightful temperments EXCEPT the crazy dive bombing freak EE's. They are adorable but squirrelly. One not nearly as bad as the other but neither will take a treat and run away flying up the walls in panic everytime I walk in. I don't see them ever being friendly. All the other chicks run to me, roost on my boots, jump at my hands. All raised exactly the same. The Faverolles are a bit shy compared to the cochins and brahmas but still nice.

The 50% EE from that hatchery, man I don't know.

Last edited:
You know i honestly don't know! I've only seen fav roo over ameracuna hen never vice versa. I would like to know myself lol! :)
I have plans to start a second flock next year to breed my own blue favaucanas, olive eggers and ameraucanas. Though I would prefer to have a salmon faverolles rooster (because of temperament) I am going with an ameraucana rooster so I can get purebreds from the ameraucana hens I also plan to purchase. It will be a long time but I will let you know how my version of the blue favaucana turns out!

It wouldn't make a difference.
You'd still be crossing the same genes.
Only time it would is if you were involving sex linked genes.
Siver/gold is sex linked. Faverolles are silver and the Ameraucana should be silver. But either way it wouldn't matter with this cross.
The Ameraucana would need to be splash to work though.
Basically the Faverolle is Wheaton and no blue. The Ameraucana would be splash so every chick would get no blue gene from the Faverolle and one blue gene from the Ameraucana. That would make all chicks blue.
The Ameraucana should be on extended black so that would cover the Wheaton and make them solid colored.
Wouldn't be surprised if some especially the roosters did end up with some leakage when they mature.

The Ameraucana would need to be splash to work though.
Basically the Faverolle is Wheaton and no blue. The Ameraucana would be splash so every chick would get no blue gene from the Faverolle and one blue gene from the Ameraucana. That would make all chicks blue.
Well I would have screwed that up. I read in an old thread they were a cross between a blue ameraucana and a salmon faverolle. What would I get if I used a blue roo (or even a black) on the salmon hens? (I really hate the look of splash!)

I bought mine from MPC.

I wasn't drawn in by the fancy name or thought I was getting something special because it was a bit on the pricey side. I just wanted a bit of color in my run and in my egg basket.. They don't hide the breeds used to make them, so they would be easy enough for someone to breed their own. Me personally, I like the variety and I don't have the room to keep more than 2 roosters so my rooster to hen ratio doesn't cause issues, ( I cant free range here) so I buy my chicks and the roosters are usually the sneaky pullets that turn out to be roos.

I only started this thread to share my photos and observations and for others to do the same, not to debate if they are a real breed or the cost of the bird. I get they are a mutt, but so are the eggers and there are tons of pictures out there for comparison.
I love My Pet Chicken, they are the only ones I get my birds from. I like their creative mixes, so keep sharing your pictures. After what I pay for other critters I get an 18 dollar chicken is nothing. I like that I have choices.

Back
Top Bottom