Blue/Grey Comb on hen

Samblast

Chirping
Apr 4, 2020
Central Maryland
My 1.5y/o Isa brown has been sick recently with it only getting worse. It started with her stopping egg laying and having a slightly purple comb. That was a few weeks ago. Fast forward to now she is very lame, eats little, still no eggs, and her comb is blue/purple. Sometimes during the day it is more pink. I don’t hear her breathing and none of my other 8 chickens have any symptoms. I’ve been unable to find lots of information on blue/grey combs so anything would help. Her poops have also been very dark green but still sorta solid. She had a bad case of bumble foot a few months ago but that has been resolved for months(solved in October). She molted in the winter/late fall and laid up until a few weeks ago. I know that Isa browns are hybrid chickens and are not meant for longevity like other hens unfortunately.

789D79C7-A86D-4B37-9C2B-C1498EA9F24B.jpeg
AD0CA40A-0BB3-436A-9654-AD7B48FADEBA.jpeg
EBAB442D-5FE0-484C-8BF8-AD3BD2D70E07.jpeg

I don’t hear her breathing
Hello!
Are you essentially saying that this illness, as far as you can tell, is not affecting the respiratory system?

Also, what is she eating at all? Is she consuming a lot of grass/greens that could explain the poop color?

I will do a bit of research now and see what I can dig-up...

In the meantime, make sure she is eating and drinking as much as possible. Possibly separate her and give her a bowl of particularly tasty treats that will encourage her to keep eating! Also, add vitamins, etc., to the water/food if you have them available.

I hope you can help her!

If it’s affecting the respiratory system it’s likely not a virus... none of the other 8 chickens have symptoms. She’s been eating very little and even less the last few days. No grass in her diet.

Well, I think you should definitely stick to the basics at a bare minimum. She needs a decent amount of food and water (w/ vitamins) each day, otherwise the induced starvation alone could kill her. ...-This unfortunately happened to my beloved hen just a few days ago... :'( If she is losing weight and appetite fast, you might consider force-feeding her using a no-needle syringe.

It's perhaps a long-shot, but I suggest checking her for blood-sucking mites. Simply hold her, lift-up her tail feathers and check around the vent for any small, crawling dots. -Mites like to feed around that soft, exposed tissue. Check randomly though her feathers a bit, as well as under the wings.

Also, it could be worms (-another long-shot). I know it's gross, but inspect her poop closely for any small eggs, or actual worms themselves.

And two other things: Sour-crop and impacted-crop (-unlikely). Gently feel her crop in her breast area. Is is full, or empty, or something else? If you notice anything unusual there, there are plenty of posts across the internet on remedies, etc..

If I have/find any more info., I'll let you know!

@Samblast how is she? Still hanging in there? You are going to need to give her food and water by hand. You can syringe water, @azygous si great at explaining that, and the best way to get food in her is to tube feed if she refuses to eat, @casportpony is good at explaining that.
How is she? I will tag a few other experts as well, but first things first we need to get her food and water, or she will die. @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @Overo Mare

Such a dark comb does not bode well. My guess what is behind it is a congenital heart defect that has suddenly become worse. Her heart may not capable of pumping enough oxygen to all of the tissues. The comb is one place where this is easy to see. What you aren't able to see are all of the organs suffering from oxygen shortage and slowly shutting down.

I would watch this hen and monitor whether she's eating, dirt bathing, able to roost, is vocal and socializes with the others. If she steadily withdraws, self isolates, sleeps a lot during the day, becomes bloated with fluid in the belly in front of the legs, I would euthanize. It would not be surprising to find her dead under the roosting perch, having died during the night in her sleep.

Hi, sorry for not updating. Her condition has only gotten worse. She had trouble breathing today and has lost her sense of balance. We do believe that this is a problem with her heart or another organs. We are also aware that her days are unfortunately numbered.

Back
Top Bottom