Blue Kote on Polish rooster's head

Update on Polish roo:

I have kept him segregated from the RIR hens for about a week now, and AMAZINGLY his head is sprouting new feather shafts!!

It seems only two or three places where there were feathers previously are not producing new shafts, but with a Polish, I guess it won't be so noticeable.

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to keep him away from the hens indefinitely - because they are just TOO MUCH - he was with them briefly during the switch from coop to run, and one or two homed in on his head.

He's just started figuring out he's a "guy" and now I'm keeping him from the girls. Seems unfair, but its either that or death by henpecking.

Thanks for all your help, folks.

My Roo is also kept seperate from our hens and I think it works out just fine that way. He still watches over the flock and he can go outside and see them through the fence and they dont beat on eachother.

This is the same problem that I had with all of my Polish two years ago.
I ordered the "rare breed special" from McMurray and also added a few other breeds that I wanted. My mom liked the "big bird" type chickens, so I wanted to get her some Polish. They only had males available at the time (the males are always available lol) so I ordered one of each color. Buff, White Crested Black, Golden Laced, Silver Laced, and White.

They literally spent all day standing in a circle, pecking at eachother's heads until they would drip blood.

None of the other chickens would bother them, it was just those five birds standing around destroying eachother's flesh. It was sickening!!!

So you're not alone. This apperently is quite common. Those pretty pictures of Polish with full head feathers that we see on the internet must live in isolation from eachother LOL.

Jenne

Back
Top Bottom