Blue Kote on Polish rooster's head

ChixFlix

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Lake Worth, FL
I was considering using Blue Kote on my Polish rooster's head where the RIR hens have apparantly been picking.

Looking at some information about it I found that if I am going to eat the poultry, I should not use this Blue Kote.

I take it to mean if I use it once, and decide to consume the bird a year later, DON'T!

Am I correct?
Also, supposedly the fumes are harmful. I guess I should use the dauber type, then, since I'm treating his head.

Or should I just not use anything?

OR is there another alternative?

Your thoughts are welcomed.

Blu kote is safe even if you are going to eat the meat later on. It is used on pigs and cows as well that people eat.

Hi, thanks for the info.

Does BlueKote actually work to keep the hens from picking the Polish's head?

It's so bad now, he's 1/2 bald. I can't keep him separate, I only have one coop. Plus he'd be miserable without other chickens around.

If I also color his white feathers on his head with the blue stuff, will that help too?

Advice appreciated!

I use Bag Balm - slather it on - the hens will get one taste of it and that's the end of that or it has been for me! I like it better than blue kote - if there is bleeding, blue kote covers it up and the bag balm keeps them from picking. They hate it!

Thanks for the info. Never heard of this Bag Balm before. Sounds like vaseline with a bad flavor!

I'll try anything to keep the poor thing from going bald (he's already got a bald spot the size of a 50 cent piece) although he doesn't seem to mind them picking on his head!

I've only seen one or two doing it - but who knows what goes on when I'm not watching.

Your input is appreciated!

OK, I tried the betadine/vaseline yesterday.

Unfortunately, right after the hens saw the betadine spot on the rooster's head, they gathered around like it was a free buffet and kept picking at him - mercilessly!

One went back 8 times to eat the vaseline! What a weird bird! Since he didn't raise a fuss, I wonder if he even felt it. He just stands there while they pick at him. Another weird bird!!

I grabbed him, took the vaseline off and used the blue kote on the bald spot.

After that, one or two still pecked at it but quit very quickly - and he looks no worse today than yesterday.

I'll keep using the blue kote dauber until he starts to grow new feathers. Hmm...I wonder if he will grow new feathers?

I do appreciate all your help, thanks!

I have found that mine love the taste of vaseline as well. I havent tried bag balm though. Good luck with him

OK, this is getting out of hand.

Now, even with a purple head, the two biggest girls are picking so much his head is bleeding.

I see lots of innovation for interesting items like poo-catchers and chicken saddles. Any ideas for a little cap to keep on his head to keep the RIRs from eventually eating his brains right out of his skull?

If I was to use some tape to keep a bandaid or something like that in place, what type wouldn't rip his few remaining feathers off his head?

I can't keep him separated, there's no other place to put him, and he'd be miserable anyway. He's 92 days old today, and now has 4 notes in his crowing song. But because he's naturally smaller than the RIR hens, he's just being "hen pecked."

Any ideas?

BTW, I didn't get the bitters spray, because he has open wounds on his bald head.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Back
Top Bottom