Blue Kote on Polish?

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
I have 3 Polish birds. The two Silver Laced are always fine and untouched, but my White Crested was bullied by my Buff Orpington-
that was resolved with some observation and intervention.
My guinea juveniles and WC Polish have formed their own little group. She follows them around and they follow her around. All are distressed when separated.
Once in a while, a guinea eats a crest feather- they are NOT pecking or biting her. They snip the tip of a feather off (sometimes eat the feather) then go on their merry way.
My polish now has a little patch of missing/short feathers in the middle of her head. A few short quills were recently tipped in blood.

I picked her up and stopped the blood with cornstarch [it's all I had on hand]- and none of the other birds touched her for almost two days. Then her quills were tipped in blood again. Applying cornstarch seems to ward them off temporarily; I've done this a few times.

I am separating her for a bit. And I plan to buy some Blue Kote-

Question.

I've read some posts on here, and it seems to be a gamble on whether that lessens the negative attention, or increases it.

Is there a better alternative?

-

EDIT.
I WILL NOT BE USING BLUE KOTE!
Too many people say that it draws MORE attention to the problem area. It doesn't actually conceal or protect anything.
Other suggested ideas are to cover the crest.
I'll be trying that!
Thank you @Cyprus

Last edited:
As crazy as it sounds, you could make a 'hat' for her. Some sort of cover for her crest to allow the feathers to grow back.

As crazy as it sounds, you could make a 'hat' for her. Some sort of cover for her crest to allow the feathers to grow back.
Any idea how I'd go about doing that? It is an idea worth trying.
I can get pictures next time I go out, but she isn't even missing feathers- they are just snipped. The guineas are attracted to her crest, so covering it might be an option.

She is upset to be away from the guineas and they are distressed in her absence. It may sound silly but she has no interest in the other chickens- not even the Polish she was with in the brooder.
She is separated, but the guineas just hang around outside her enclosure, making sounds and calling out to her like they're separated from one of their own.
I was previously advised to separate her, but I'd like to reunite them if I can.

I raised two polish hens for several years until one by one they were killed by hawks. From the time they were in my mixed flock with same age birds, one would suffer from head feathers pecked out by others. BluKote always worked for me, and if I used it when it started, it never progressed. When I did not start it in time, the whole head would end up raw and bare. Then month would go by and no pecking. Then one would have missing feathers again, and the BluKote helped. It will stain your clothes and hands for a few days, so be careful using it.

Another good remedy is pine tar, which is sold in the horse supplies at most feed stores for $10. A small dab tastes bad, has healing properties, and would not draw attention.

I raised two polish hens for several years until one by one they were killed by hawks. From the time they were in my mixed flock with same age birds, one would suffer from head feathers pecked out by others. BluKote always worked for me, and if I used it when it started, it never progressed. When I did not start it in time, the whole head would end up raw and bare. Then month would go by and no pecking. Then one would have missing feathers again, and the BluKote helped. It will stain your clothes and hands for a few days, so be careful using it.

Another good remedy is pine tar, which is sold in the horse supplies at most feed stores for $10. A small dab tastes bad, has healing properties, and would not draw attention.
Blue kote has me a bit paranoid. But I will definitely look into pine tar!

Tractor Supply and other stores sell it:
upload_2019-10-2_10-29-2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom