Blue laced red wyandotte Rooster cross Salmon Faverole?

tenfairytoes

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
I hope this is posted in the correct spot. I have 2 BLRW roosters and they are pecking each other's feather's out. When exactly this is happening, I don't knowbecause I never see it. No other hens are losing feathers. I even bought feather/molting feed and then I saw where the feathers were coming from. Anyways I am separating them and giving each of them their own flock. I am putting the more docile chickens with one rooster and my Salmon Faverole's are in that group. What will the chicks look like? Should I rethink this? I don't even know if anyone will go broody but I am just curious. I am also throwing in a white wyandotte since everyone picks on her too. Will that be pretty?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
How old is your flock? Since you don't actually see the feather picking, it could be that those two just happen to molt in a very noticeable way, while the others are slower, and less noticeable.
As for what the chicks would look like, Faverolles have muffs and feathered legs which are both dominant. The Wyandottes have rose combs and the blue dilute gene, which are dominant.
About 25% of the chicks will inherit the blue gene, and most of the chicks will have rose combs, muffs and feathered legs.

About 25% of the chicks will inherit the blue gene, and most of the chicks will have rose combs, muffs and feathered legs.
Half should be blue (blue x black). I agree with the likely rose combs, muffs and feathered legs. They will stand a good chance of having extra toes too.

blue as in solid blues or like blue with other colors in there too but mainly blue? That night be fun, puffy faced blue birds.

blue as in solid blues or like blue with other colors in there too but mainly blue? That night be fun, puffy faced blue birds.
Blue is a gene that affects the color black. If a chick inherits the blue gene, all of the black in the pattern will be 'diluted' to the grey color that is commonly called 'blue'. They won't be solid blue, because that would mean that one of the parents is genetically solid black. Since neither Salmon Faverolles or Laced Wyandottes are solid black, it's not a possibility for any of the chicks to come out solid black/solid blue.
It just means that if one of the parents has a 'blue' gene, then it will pass to some of the chicks.
This is, of course, assuming that your Blue Laced Reds are blue, and not black or splash. If they are black-laced, then there is no 'blue' dilute gene present. If they are splash, then all the chicks will get a blue gene.

Back
Top Bottom