Blue laced red wyandotte

Kkboardman

Chirping
Jan 31, 2024
Is there anyway to tell who will be blue and who will be black at 2 days old? I have some marans mixed in.
1000011022.jpg

Attachments

• 20240305_184918.jpg
    20240305_184918.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 7
Someone said their chests will be different. They yellow ones will be blue and the gray ones will be black. But idk

you might want to let them get a bit older, this is how my blue laced girls are looking currently and they are about 5-6 days old
IMG_6382.jpeg

Is there anyway to tell who will be blue and who will be black at 2 days old? I have some marans mixed in.

Very dark blues can look like blacks at this age, and will have to grow a good set of feathers before you can tell, but lighter blues are usually easy to recognize from the down.

For example, I see one on the far right of the photo that has a grayish color (blue) for the dark area on the back, instead of the darker color that some others are showing. That one is probably blue. (Not the one with a lot of black that is halfway out of the photo, which is probably one of your Marans, but the next one in from that.)

Very dark blues can look like blacks at this age, and will have to grow a good set of feathers before you can tell, but lighter blues are usually easy to recognize from the down.

For example, I see one on the far right of the photo that has a grayish color (blue) for the dark area on the back, instead of the darker color that some others are showing. That one is probably blue. (Not the one with a lot of black that is halfway out of the photo, which is probably one of your Marans, but the next one in from that.)
That one will be splash laced. It's prob hard to tell from a picture. But I want to sell the blacks so trying to figure it all out lol

That one will be splash laced. It's prob hard to tell from a picture. But I want to sell the blacks so trying to figure it all out lol

Oh, OK.

I don't know for sure about the ones with less-obvious differences.

I was also told the ones with the chipmunk stripes are best. What do you think about that?

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about that particular breed & variety to be helpful there.

Back
Top Bottom