Blue legged rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Maverick061106, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Maverick061106

Maverick061106 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Fall Branch, TN
    This year is my first venture with chickens. We bought a couple dozen straight run chicks of unknown breeds.

One has stood out from the rest, though, in our opinion... I have never seen a chicken with blue legs!

They are fairly mature now - at least 3-5 months old.

This guy is a rooster - we've heard him crowing. He is white with a random black feather every so often. Big red comb. And slate-colored bluish-gray legs. Other than his coloring, he looks like a standard chicken - nothing too special.

Anyone know what he is? I have searched everywhere on the net and can find NOTHING on blue/gray legged chickens lol We are just curious... I can try to post a pic in a day or two if needed.

Thanks!

2. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

[​IMG]

And pictures are always "needed"! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  3. Maverick061106

Jun 17, 2010
    Fall Branch, TN
    I will see what I can do! [​IMG]

Saw you are from sc PA... my fiance is from the South Mountain area - beautiful in the mountains up there! We are thinking about moving that a way...

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:I'm in York County. It is very nice in this area. Usually nice weather, close to the mountains, oceans, big cities but still country.

5. metraideanne

metraideanne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Does he look anything like this?

[​IMG]

6. SouthernChick

SouthernChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Ohio
    [​IMG] Looks like a Ameraucana to me...they have blue slate leggs and muffs! Pictures of your bird would help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  7. Maverick061106

Jun 17, 2010
    Fall Branch, TN
    No, he doesn't look like the photo. He is solid white, with just a single black feather here and there - maybe 6-8 black feathers total over his whole body.

There is an older photo from when he was little on our website: http://smokymountainmaverick.webs.com/othercritters.htm

Scroll
    down to THE CHICKENS... He is the white one right on the center with the black flecks... You can't see his feet here, but it may help. I'll try to post a current picture tomorrow.

8. Maverick061106

Jun 17, 2010
    Fall Branch, TN
    Quote:He does't have any muffs... just looks like your typical everyday chicken, except for his legs!

9. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    White with blue legs would tell me Jersey giant. With the black feathers thrown in, maybe splash colored?

10. Maverick061106

Jun 17, 2010
    Fall Branch, TN
    As I'm researching, I'd say he most closely matches a splash Jersey Giant of anything I've found so far... except the chicks don't really look like he did when he was a chick. He was just a typical fuzzy yellow chick with a black feather on one wing and a black spot on his back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by