Thank you. That's how my brown leghorns were. I liked the white eggs, but their temperament did not suit mine. It made me sad that they always looked upon us, it seemed, with terror. I won't have them again, I don't think.
I agree. I like pretty much everything else about them, but it’s so odd to me that it seems there’s nothing you can do to calm them down. While I especially appreciate their consistent laying, I personally much prefer the temperament of Orpingtons and am willing to accept that they eat more and don’t lay as well. These will likely be my last leghorns, too.

I agree. I like pretty much everything else about them, but it’s so odd to me that it seems there’s nothing you can do to calm them down. While I especially appreciate their consistent laying, I personally much prefer the temperament of Orpingtons and am willing to accept that they eat more and don’t lay as well. These will likely be my last leghorns, too.
I liked my Orps too, except that they were way more interested in hatching eggs than laying them! I found Australorps to be the best of both worlds, they have the nice temperament of the Orps but don't go broody nearly as much. Plus I'm convinced they keep hawks away because they look like big black crows, although others disagree with me, so "ymmv."

@The Moonshiner This is probably a dumb question, but do the roosters of this variety that you’ve bred look different than or pretty similar to the hens? I thought I had all pullets, but then I could’ve sworn I heard a crow from my back yard the other day. (I have other hens and roosters in my front yard, though, so I could’ve been mistaken.) From what I can tell these all look pretty much exactly the same, though, and I just don’t see how one could be a rooster. I’ve had quite a few chickens over the years, but I’m far from an expert. I isolated them for a few days, and this is the only one that hasn’t laid. It looks like a pullet to me (and looks basically identical to the others), but I just wanted to make sure. (Sorry for the weird position in the picture. I was trying to get a decent angle and full body without it flapping wildly.)

Attachments

• A58EF16E-C122-45DE-B8B3-8A4F796CC5FD.jpeg
    A58EF16E-C122-45DE-B8B3-8A4F796CC5FD.jpeg
    502.3 KB · Views: 32
I bought 2 Grey Leghorns from TS also, but could not find any information on them. Mine are really Blue Leghorns and one has the black feathers on the neck and the other has golden feathers. I have handled mine since they were babies and I am able to pick each one up. I also have 4 white Leghorns and one of them comes to me when I call her name and another one comes to me all the time. I pick up my chickens once a day and pet them.

I bought 2 Grey Leghorns from TS also, but could not find any information on them. Mine are really Blue Leghorns and one has the black feathers on the neck and the other has golden feathers. I have handled mine since they were babies and I am able to pick each one up. I also have 4 white Leghorns and one of them comes to me when I call her name and another one comes to me all the time. I pick up my chickens once a day and pet them.
Good for you! Blue Leghorns sound really pretty, got pics?

got pics?
X2
I'm curious to see what you mean by the neck feathers.

Good for you! Blue Leghorns sound really pretty, got pics?
These are my Blue Leghorns. Everyone that sees them comment on how beautiful they are.

Attachments

• 611CCA2A-F743-494B-98F6-3457049EA48B.jpeg
    611CCA2A-F743-494B-98F6-3457049EA48B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 7CFE21B0-1084-4A4D-BD91-7942837ED3EA.jpeg
    7CFE21B0-1084-4A4D-BD91-7942837ED3EA.jpeg
    617.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 1C87DAD3-DB08-42AC-890C-5580182FA3A7.jpeg
    1C87DAD3-DB08-42AC-890C-5580182FA3A7.jpeg
    608.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 7580C896-F979-4AB0-B9AF-FBA5F9C0A858.jpeg
    7580C896-F979-4AB0-B9AF-FBA5F9C0A858.jpeg