Blue leghorn's HUGE droopy comb is pecked; she now pecks viciously

alliterationsss

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Sydney
Hello

I have a blue leghorn about 6 months old. She is the youngest in my flock (currently 9 hens, varying heritage breeds), along with her buddy, a Plymouth Rock of same age. Both girls were pecked initially, as expected. My blue leghorn has a HUGE floppy comb, even though she is only just laying; apparently this is typical of their breed and colour.

Evie's comb has lots of marks indicating it's been pecked, though I never actually see the others going for her comb specifically. She is getting really agitated, and just lashes out trying to peck anyone and everyone - including her good friend the Plymouth Rock. I'm getting concerned about her behaviour.
ery happy
The girls have a pretty good diets - mainly pellets and 1 large cup of mixed scratch, and some tit bits. I make sure the 2 young ones - the blue leghorn and the plymouth rock - have separate source of food and tit bits. The coop size is fine, as is the run, but anyway, they free range every day in a very very chook-friendly garden.

Any thoughts? Many thanks. :)

Evie's comb has lots of marks indicating it's been pecked, though I never actually see the others going for her comb specifically. She is getting really agitated, and just lashes out trying to peck anyone and everyone
The coop size is fine, as is the run, but anyway, they free range every day in a very very chook-friendly garden.
Do you have any photos of her?
A video of her actions would also be good, this way we can see what you see. It could be just normal pecking order behavior. For video, upload to youtube, then provide us a link.

How large is your coop? What other breeds do you have?
Most comb pecking is done during roosting time, you may want to observe behavior then too. Having plenty of roosting space for large fowl can sometimes help with that.

Back
Top Bottom