Blue Light?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aineheartsyou, Mar 8, 2011.

1. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Songster

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I read in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks that a blue light is easier on ducklings eyes but it didn't say exactly what kind of light. incandescent, fluorescent, halogen? I have seen blue day bulbs at the pet stores for reptiles

2. missmaryb

missmaryb In the Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    North Port, Fl
    I don't have the answer but just wanted to say: Isn't that a fantasitc book?! I have read a bunch of the "Storey's Guide" series and love the detail!

3. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Songster

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    it is! I have many spots book marked

4. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Songster

Feb 5, 2011
    The blue light spectrum is on the cool end. So you can buy blue bulbs or simply white bulbs. I would not use halogen, it is way to intense. Fluorescent does not emit heat, so it is out of the question for the brooder. I use standard white light bulbs in various wattage for the brooder. Be aware that blue light makes them lay larger eggs too, which is not always a good thing. I use a natural spectrum light in their duck house for the laying hens.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A more initially expensive but really helpful item we used was ceramic heat bulbs - no light, just heat. They come in different wattages. I had mine from a reptile I kept for 29 years. She passed away a few months before the ducklings arrived.

6. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Songster

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:huh, that is interesting. i will have to do some looking around the reptile section at the petstore [​IMG]

7. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Songster

Feb 5, 2011
    Remember to use in addition a baby night light, if you use a heat disk. Ducklings get frightened, if they can't see what it around them.

8. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Songster

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Quote:I was just at Home Depot today trying to figure out what blue light he was talking about. I have no clue, so I went ahead and got the red heat lamp light.[​IMG]

9. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Songster

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    I went to Petco today and checked out the reptile section and they had blue heat lights in 40, 60 and 100 watts. I picked up a 60 watt for 8 bucks

10. Lamar Estate

Lamar Estate Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    St. Paul, Minnesota

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: