Blue mottled Cochin?

Eckielady

Songster
Feb 12, 2017
East Tennessee
So we have new babies this morning but this one (and one other underneath mama) looks like a blue mottled. I'm not sure how I would have gotten that color but it is....right?

IMG_6407.JPG
IMG_6408.JPG

It does have the looks of blue mottled to me, but my guess is it will only carry the mottled gene, not express it once it feathers out. Meaning only one parent was mottled.
My ones that end up expressing the mottled have more lightness around the head like this:
WP_20180530_08_08_23_Pro.jpg

So cute!! I believe the mother is my splash frizzle but I've had two other blues pop out in the last few days and they are obvious blues. This one has so much more yellow. I'm also a bit confused because I didn't think I had that many of her eggs underneath them. Most of the eggs were from my mottled rooster and my buff Colombian hen.

Ya, I expected blue. Just got confused when I saw the variation of colors on this one. Can't wait to breed back and get some mottled blue.

Id think the mother was the splash.. I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that mottled × splash = blue.. the chick is probably blue, but carries mottled

That's correct, as long as the mottled is black mottled. I have a blue mottled. ;)
But if someone just says mottled and doesn't specify color, they usually mean black.

Ya, I expected blue. Just got confused when I saw the variation of colors on this one. Can't wait to breed back and get some mottled blue.
Do you have a black hen or roo? Black × Blue = 50% Blue 50% blavk ... If my thoughts are correct(and if I haven't confused myself), if you breed that chick to a black bird it will produce blue , black, black mottled, and blue mottled chicks.(?)
EDITED TO FIX MY ERROR

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom