Blue plymouth rock

Sadly although Blue Plymouth Rocks are a variety of a purebred, they're extremely rare and won't come from a feed store. Many hatcheries have been calling both Blue Sexlinks and Production Blues "Blue Plymouth Rocks" although they are not the pure breed. Yours are one of those, the former being able to be sexed by the chick down.

Sadly although Blue Plymouth Rocks are a variety of a purebred, they're extremely rare and won't come from a feed store. Many hatcheries have been calling both Blue Sexlinks and Production Blues "Blue Plymouth Rocks" although they are not the pure breed. Yours are one of those, the former being able to be sexed by the chick down.
Stil haven't gotten pictures. Been busy. But they're definitely not production blues I have those. I'll try ad get out there soon and post one.

Thanks! They are pretty! I am fond of blue chickens and hope to have some one day. When I joined BYC, I chose this name because I always wore a blue apron when caring for my chicklets. I figured they thought of me as a big, blue hen.

I wonder. Would you get the same effect if you bred a Blue Andalusian rooster to a Dominique hen? And if not, why not? (I have Dominiques).

Yes, Blue Plymouth rocks can be sexed by the spot, they are not a standard breed, they are a hybrid between a Barred Rock hen and a Blue Andalusian Rooster so just like other black or blue sexlinks that uses a barred rock hen the males get the head spot and barred pattern while the females do not. More info and pics https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/blue-plymouth-rock.asp
Some hatcheries have a hybrid they call blue Plymouth Rock. But Blue Plymouth Rocks ARE a standard breed.

https://web.extension.illinois.edu/eggs/res09-breeds.html

Attachments

• 2384DC6F-3483-4FDF-B560-A4A8A6A239AF.png
    2384DC6F-3483-4FDF-B560-A4A8A6A239AF.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Some hatcheries have a hybrid they call blue Plymouth Rock. But Blue Plymouth Rocks ARE a standard breed.

https://web.extension.illinois.edu/eggs/res09-breeds.html
not the ones you are getting these days from these hatcheries who supply the feed stores, TSC etc...a breeder maybe or good hatchery may have them somewhere. TSC uses Hoovers and Townline...Hoovers doesnt breed them so they must be from Townline and they do use the mix, no pure bred.
1633923007329.png

Last edited:
I wonder. Would you get the same effect if you bred a Blue Andalusian rooster to a Dominique hen? And if not, why not? (I have Dominiques).
Yes you would get sexable chicks. I will be doing this with my Blue Ameraucana Rooster and my Dominique and Cuckoo Marans hens to hatch sexable olive eggers next year.

not the ones you are getting these days from these hatcheries who supply the feed stores, TSC etc...a breeder maybe or good hatchery may have them somewhere. TSC uses Hoovers and Townline...Hoovers doesnt breed them so they must be from Townline and they do use the mix, no pure bred. View attachment 2862047
I know, the hatcheries can be bad about stuff like this. They should at least change the spelling, like Ameracauna/Americana so you know it isn’t that breed. Like Blue Plimouth Rock. 😂

I know, the hatcheries can be bad about stuff like this. They should at least change the spelling, like Ameracauna/Americana so you know it isn’t that breed. Like Blue Plimouth Rock. 😂
Yes I hate that! It is even funnier when they argue the fact and you can look and see that the hatchery doesnt even breed them... if you go to most websites they do say Americana, never Ameraucana(like TSC/Hoovers below). Now just adding to the confusion they are selling easter eggers as a whole new thing using legbars instead of Ameraucana in the mx with brown layers.
1633924019290.png

1633923795818.png

Back
Top Bottom