Blue Slate Turkeys-How Much Are Adults Worth?

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I was just at the feedstore and the owner had two Bl Slate hens and one jake for $100 EACH. Dont think they'll be eaten if someone actually pays that much. She said she had several more but they sold. Oooooookay, those people (not locals, I'm sure) have more $$$ than moi. What are they really worth? Boy, are they beautiful!

I would say that is steep for them which I dont complain about prices but do remember depending on where you are and the demand people are going to get what they can which there is nothing wrong with. Its up to you on if you want to buy them or not!

I've always said her prices are high, but she's getting them, so more power to her. I wanted some other opinions on what most pay/charge for that breed of turkey, adult size. If I could get that much for turkeys, I think I'd be raising them myself.

EDITED TO ADD: I am not in the market for an adult turkey and have no experience in the pricing that type bird. Just seemed interesting that someone in this area will pay $100 for a turkey and wondered if that was inflated. Seems so.

Last edited:
Here I was thinking you were getting turkeys now!
gig.gif

Quote:
What feed store is that- they sell young jakes for $25???

It's our local feed store, they get Blue Slate and Royal Palms in fairly regular and sometimes Bourbon. One of our Custodians raises the Blue Slate and Bourbons and sells them for 5 - 10 bucks each when they are a month old to 6 months old. He likes to sell them much younger than 6 months though so he sells them to the feed store and then they sell them cheap. If they are older they go up to 25 or 30.

Back
Top Bottom