Blue vs Black silkie

smott

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
I have a silkie cockerel that I’m not sure if he is considered blue or black! He did appear gray when he was a chick. I have 3 paint silkie hens and was considering using him for chicks off of them, but I read not to use a blue bc it will dilute the paint. Anyone familiar with genetics in this case that can chime in? He does have some red leakage on his hackles, so I’m not sure if that makes him a bad candidate or not? Pics below!
BB5E3A47-165A-4D2A-8C43-78DC49C31138.jpeg
A5FCE45A-ECF5-4C6E-BB6A-BE8228E8565E.jpeg
D3CC2271-3124-4488-A8EA-34CF26DCB3CE.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree, I'd call him black with red leakage. If you're looking for a more serious breeding program I wouldn't use him, if you're just having him around to help protect the flock and fertilize eggs for you then he's fine to keep around :)

I agree, I'd call him black with red leakage. If you're looking for a more serious breeding program I wouldn't use him, if you're just having him around to help protect the flock and fertilize eggs for you then he's fine to keep around :)
Thanks. Nothing serious, just thought since I have 3 pretty paint hens I could sell a few chicks to people like me that just want pretty backyard birds. Not sure if that is considered “irresponsible” breeding but I definitely wouldn’t sell them as any kind of guaranteed quality birds. My other black is also a hen. I don’t want to get rid of him bc I get attached to my babies lol.
Any possibility of using him with to create any multi-colored, non-standard offspring?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom