Blueberry Bread for breakfast...

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BettyR, Jan 12, 2011.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    This is one of DH's favorite things for breakfast. I use two pans to make a thinner bread, he thinks the crust is the best part and the thinner loaf gives him more crust.

Blueberry Bread

1/2-cup margarine
    1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese
    1 1/4 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1-tablespoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon vinegar
    1/4-cup milk
    2 cup sifted flour
    1-teaspoon baking powder
    1/2-teaspoon soda
    1/4-teaspoon salt
    8 ounces frozen blueberries

Mix the margarine and cream cheese in a bowl, cream well. Add the sugar gradually and cream well. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla and vinegar to the milk and mix well.

Stir dry ingredients together. Remove 1/3 cup of flour mixture from the bowl, remove blueberries from the freezer and place them in the bowl with the removed flour mixture. Stir well to coat the blueberries with the flour.

Beat the remaining flour mixture and the milk mixture, into the creamed mixture a little at a time beginning and ending with the flour. Fold the remaining flour and blueberries into the batter just until combined.

Turn batter into a well greased and floured loaf pan and bake in a 350° oven (325° for dark, coated, or glass pans) for 1 hour (I start keeping a close watch at 45 minutes). A toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread will come out clean when done.

Note: I use two pans to make a thinner bread. My husband thinks the crust is the best part and the thinner loaf gives him more crust.

[​IMG]

2. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    That looks killer!!!

I think I'm going to try it with cranberries since they are on sale everywhere for like $0.75 a bag! [​IMG]

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    OK, I'm trying it!

4. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Nom Nom Nom!!!!
    That sounds so good!
    & I totally agree with Mr BettyR - more crusty edges!

I have some blueberries & cranberries in the freezer.
    I never use margarine so it would be butter in my version - is that ever a Bad Thing?
    I've got everything else except the cream cheese, but then I need to do some grocery shopping anyhow...

Vfem:
    would you add sugar to the cranberries before using them in this recipe?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:This is a very old recipe...I never use margarine either, it's always butter.

I have never cooked with cranberries in my life so I'm not a good person to ask that question.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  6. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    That looks scrumptious!

7. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Haven't tried it yet... forgot the cranberries.... but yes, I would toss them in a little sugar before I tried it. Probably about 2 Tbsp.

8. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Ok vfem
    I may make this tonight...or tomorrow
    I still need to go for groceries anyhow so I can get the cream cheese then

Perfect weather here for staying in & baking [​IMG]

9. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Quote:AGREED!!!

10. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    That bread looks delicious! I'm going to make it tomorrow! The cranberries sound like a great idea with maybe some grated orange peel...cranberries and orange are such a perfect combo! I may have to make two batches!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by