BO Gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SC-ChickMom, Jan 19, 2012.

1. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    Got this BO as a packing peanut. We have found homes for 3 or 4 of the ten we originally received. Hubby has agreed to keeping one cockeral. This particular one, I tried to mark with food coloring (very messy) because it is constantly with our EE(the only one she allows near). This one will stay with us for this reason. I was noticing that this one is the smallest, it has a more rounded tail and smaller legs than the other packing peanuts so it got me wondering: It is possible that this is a pullet? They are 10.5 weeks old. So is there a chance this is a she and not a he? Thanks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Looks like a pullet to me, but its got alot of red in the comb for 10.5 weeks

3. ChickenAddict92

ChickenAddict92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I agree, looks like a pullet to me. She looks just like my BO girl did at 10.5 weeks. I would think she would have much larger wattles and a larger/fuller tail if she were a cockerel.

4. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Unfortunately an orpington pullet at only 10.5 weeks would not be that red or even have that large of comb/wattles, he is however going to be a beautiful cockerel. [​IMG]

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Im thinking roo as well. The red shoulders give him away. The BO girls I had were a nice, even blonde.

6. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    Thanks everyone. This little guy is the lightest in color of all. In all honesty I was not expecting any pullets but I was hoping. My little EE appears a little neurotic. She rarely leaves the coop and constantly walks around peeping. This little BO is her side kick. They roost together, eat together and leave the coop together. I must say that the next time I want chicks they will be BOs. They have been the best little chicks ever.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I vote roo, but am not certain.

8. broodybantam

broodybantam Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    It looks like a hen but i do see some roos, the Dark brahma is a perfect looking pullet

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a cockerel. the comb and wattles are way to large and red to be a pullet at 10.5 weeks

10. I'm 90% sure that it's a pullet, i had a few chicks who looked like that and they ended up as hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by