1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

BO Hen not acting quite normal

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ViolinPlayer123, May 22, 2017.

1. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    MN
    I have a 3 yr old Buff Hen that hasn't quite been acting normal. For the past 2 weeks she goes into the nesting box at night instead of the roost and starts breathing heavily and her comb and wattles go purple. She is also VERY fat. Almost as if she is bloated. I haven't seen her laying eggs and we have been getting 8 eggs a day (1 green, 1 white, 6 brown) from the 8 brown egg layers and the green and the white. Other than that she has been acting normal during the day. There is a hard spot (to the touch)just above her vent (it's not an abcess). Please Help!

2. ViolinPlayer123

Oct 26, 2015
    MN
    I can get pictures in the morning if needed.

3. MissNutmeg

MissNutmeg Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello @ViolinPlayer123! The symptoms of your hen sound like an egg binding, which basically means she's got an egg stuck right up inside her vent. I would quarantine her, I'm gonna find a link with cures. Do you know if she is still drinking and eating food without being prompted?

4. MissNutmeg

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Egg binding is deadly and fast! Doubt a girl would survive 2 weeks like that.

Does she have diareah? Usually that's all that can escape around the egg. Which is why they quit eating and drinking because they can't pass anything.

If you think that's it, take immediate action. My first experience, a couple weeks ago lost a hen from delayed action. :(
    :fl

6. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Another possibility is ascites, or "water-belly". I'm attaching a couple of links that may help.
    If the lower abdomen feels swollen and fluid filled it may be this. Unfortunately most of the causes of ascites do not result in a good outcome. It commonly is caused by organ failure or cancer. If that is what it is then sometimes draining the fluid (using a syringe needle- you can search this) can make the bird more comfortable for a time, but the underlying condition will remain.
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/poult...itions-of-poultry/ascites-syndrome-in-poultry
    http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/ascites-syndrome-poultry

7. MissNutmeg

So
    The reason why I didn't mention Ascites is because ViolinPlayer123 felt something hard not squishy.

~Meg :)

8. ViolinPlayer123

Oct 26, 2015
    MN
    The abdomen is firm not squishy...

9. MissNutmeg

Yeah I would check out the link about egg binding.

10. ViolinPlayer123

Oct 26, 2015
    MN
    I got some pics of her. I tried to get one of her abdomen but as soon as I flipped her over she started gasping for breath and her comb and wattles turned purple.
    She did a cecal poop (see image) and then another one a little bit later.The last pic is when she was recovering from her gasping thingamajig. IMG_7055.JPG IMG_7059.JPG IMG_7061.JPG IMG_7064.JPG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by