BO Hen not acting quite normal

UPDATE: I checked her over for egg binding and I couldn't find any evidence of an egg. So in guessing It's ascites?? Is there anything I can do to help her? The nearest vet is 3 hrs away.

How is your hen doing now?

Has she shown any improvement? Is she laying? :fl
Realized I never answered this. She still isn't laying but she doesn't appear to have any respiratory problems anymore. She has made it up to the top roost a few time, but I take her down for fear she'll hymn and hurt herself. I'm thinking she is just fat. She is molting now. Any ideas to make her lose a little weight? I think it would be better for her. I can get a picture if needed.

Realized I never answered this. She still isn't laying but she doesn't appear to have any respiratory problems anymore. She has made it up to the top roost a few time, but I take her down for fear she'll hymn and hurt herself. I'm thinking she is just fat. She is molting now. Any ideas to make her lose a little weight? I think it would be better for her. I can get a picture if needed.

Pics are always welcome!

Orpington are large girls. Mine have puffy feeling abdomens. But you could weigh her and see how she compares to her breeds standard instead of comparing her to your other breeds.

Some people keep their roost a little low (like 3 feet) for their heavy breeds, especially as they start to get a little older. I have a ramp for mine.

Glad she seems to be doing better! :yesss: When I look at the previous pics, she doesn't look fat to me.

During molt, I offer only high protein treats like scrambled eggs, meal worms, peas, meat, or tuna... because feathers are made of 90% protein and the amino acids therein. They don't lay eggs during this time because their bodies are using the energy to grow new feathers in. So I just off nutritional support by avoiding low nutrient items like extra corn or scratch. Note, I don't go overboard on meal worm and egg because they are high in fat content. So balance is always key.

Pics are always welcome!

Orpington are large girls. Mine have puffy feeling abdomens. But you could weigh her and see how she compares to her breeds standard instead of comparing her to your other breeds.

Some people keep their roost a little low (like 3 feet) for their heavy breeds, especially as they start to get a little older. I have a ramp for mine.

Glad she seems to be doing better! :yesss: When I look at the previous pics, she doesn't look fat to me.

During molt, I offer only high protein treats like scrambled eggs, meal worms, peas, meat, or tuna... because feathers are made of 90% protein and the amino acids therein. They don't lay eggs during this time because their bodies are using the energy to grow new feathers in. So I just off nutritional support by avoiding low nutrient items like extra corn or scratch. Note, I don't go overboard on meal worm and egg because they are high in fat content. So balance is always key.
She is a hatcjery bird so she is is no where near the standard including weights. Her sister is around 4 lbs. supposed to be LF. :rolleyes: The reason I say she is fat, is because she is a lot heavier than she use to be, and she basically waddles. Not walk. I will get a picture.

Back
Top Bottom